Marcel Gerard: Key to a good boyfriend

Imagine: The reader does something really small but cute for Marcel to make it clear that they are together.

You didn't do relationship, Marcel knew that. You were not in it for the attachment, but maybe he was. He'd let it go on for some time until today. Girls like you were rare—you didn't come along every century. But he had to know—he wouldn't know if he never asked. Was he an exception? It felt like it. Going out together most nights, how often you visited, telling him about your problems... It felt like you were together. He assumed he was overthinking it.

Marcel walked to your apartment that night. Your lights were on in your living room, but he knocked almost three times and there would be no answer. You always complained about the heat in Louisiana, so you spent most of your time at your job or elsewhere there was air conditioning. Maybe you were out with the friends you had recently introduced him to...was that something friends with benefits did? 

He sighed, ready to give up, but instead, he rang your phone. "I really need to talk," he started off. "I'm not home at the moment. Can you give me an hour?" you said, not having to ask who it was. He sighed. He wasn't gonna wait around for you; he wasn't that kind of lapdog. He was surprised when you suddenly added, "Your key is on top of the hall lamp. It has an 'M' on it."

He reached for the key, it's warm surface decorated with a cursive M in red ink. "I need my own key?" he frowned. "You're my boyfriend, aren't you?" you laughed through the phone. He smiled a little to himself, sticking it in the lock. "I guess that answers my question...I'll still be here when you get back."