Hayley Marshall: I'll protect you

You sat out in the Bayou as you watched the trees sway in the wind and birds fly overhead. You liked the quiet to distract you from your usual state of a broken heart. You liked someone who you could never be with because you were afraid. You'd loved a supernatural being once before, and it wasn't in your favor, sadly enough. You knew she liked you back, and that was the worst part. You didn't want to take the step to address it.
Hayley appeared behind you as she looked around.
"The pack wants to know where you went. They were having fun with you," Hayley said.
"Oh. I just wanted to hang out in the quiet for a while," you replied bashfully.
She sighed looking at you. She loved listening to you talk and laugh, but whenever you were with her it's like you would suddenly hold yourself back. She knew you liked her and she always wondered if you knew she felt the same.
"We should talk...about what's going on," she said as she sat in front of you.
"I know. I'm sorry. I just don't know what to do," you swallowed.
Hayley frowned, tilting her head.
"I used to go out with this werewolf, and it was good until things got messy in the Quarter. I was always worrying and getting scared after that and I had to let them go. It was painful and I didn't think I could handle it again," you explained.
She lifted your chin as she looked back at you, your E/C eyes on her brown ones.
"That happens here. You shouldn't worry. Wolves are strong...a few vampires don't scare them and whatever problems they have with the wolves shouldn't scare you. I'd...protect you and care about you. Like anybody would," she promised. You hesitated before you smiled slightly.
"Let's go out and find out how true your worst case scenarios are," she suggested.
You raised your brows as you stopped hugging your knees and looked around.
"It's worth a try," you said slowly.
"Um...is there something I should wear? I mean...pick you up? I don't really—I haven't been on a date in a while," you rambled as you covered your face.
She laughed quietly as she held out her hand to help you up.
"I think we'll just go right now," she smiled.