Back Home

Newt's travel ban had been lifted two days after they had gotten back from Paris. The first thing he had done when he had learned was to purchase two tickets for the first boat to New York. Jacob and Nagini had chosen not to go and Newt had made arrangements for them to stay at Hogwarts until they returned.

Newt led Tina along the narrow hall in the ship until they reached their room. Tina had insisted on sharing a room with him, claiming that she didn't want to be alone. He had agreed somewhat shyly but he didn't mind the thought of sharing a room with her. However, he was still hesitant to share a bed with her.

Newt and Tina had expected their room to have two separate beds, that had been what they had requested.  When they unlocked the door to their cabin and pushed it open, they were met with a surprise. A single bed sat in the middle of the room. It was large enough for the both of them but they couldn't escape the fact that there was only one. The two of them stood side by side, staring at the ground with embarrassed expressions on their faces.

They had closed the door behind them so Tina pulled out her wand. With a flick of her wrist, the bed split into two, each bed settling against opposite walls. The room was decently large since Newt had insisted on paying for both tickets and had decided that, if they were going to share a room, they should at least share a nice room. Tina had tried to protest, thinking it was too expensive, but he had reminded her that he could afford it since he now had more money than he knew what to do with.

That night, they curled up in their respective beds and tried to go to sleep. Newt drifted in and out of a restless sleep. A few hours after he had crawled into bed, he was wide awake, tossing and turning, trying to go back to sleep.

"Newt?" Tina's murmur reached his ears and he rolled over. He could see her outline standing by his bed. 

"Tina?" he mumbled.

The tip of her wand lit up, filling the room with a soft light.

"I can't sleep."

Newt sat up and swung his legs off his bed.

"Neither can I," he responded. He got to his feet and pulled her into a hug.

Tina sighed. "Can we sleep together?"

Newt started. "What?"

"Can we put the beds back together and sleep in the same bed?" she reiterated.

A slight blush formed on Newt's cheeks. "I suppose, uh, if you w-want to."

Tina nodded and they moved out from between the beds. She waved her wand and the beds joined together. She and Newt slowly crawled into the larger bed.

Newt lay still, his back to Tina. He didn't know what to do with himself. He had never shared a bed with anyone, not even his brother. But Tina had curled up against his back. He rolled over hesitantly, draping his arm over her waist. "Good night, Tina," he murmured.

Tina's only response was a gentle snore and Newt chuckled. She was already fast asleep.

Tina woke up the next morning with a peaceful smile on her face. For the first time in nights, her sleep hadn't been haunted by nightmares of a raging blue fire. She blinked her eyes sleepily, trying to figure out where she was. Then she blushed. She was in Newt's arms. Her head was resting against his chest and somehow she had slipped her hand between two of the buttons on his pajama shirt, her palm pressed against his skin, searching for the warmth of his chest. His own arms were around her, holding her close, and she could feel that one of his hands had slipped under her own shirt and was resting on the small of her back. Their legs were tangled together with the sheets.