Salamander Eyes

Newt was down in his case, feeding his creatures. He had been in New York for a few days and was enjoying every minute he spent there. He wished he never had to leave but he knew that, eventually, he would.

When he finished the routine he did twice a day, he went back into his shed and rummaged around for a potion bottle. Tina's voice floated down into the case, calling his name, so he abandoned his search and quickly climbed up the ladder. She appeared in the doorway to his room.

"There you are," she said. "I just got off work."

Newt looked up at her. Despite the cheerful smile on her lips, she looked exhausted. It was late, nearly 8:00, and she had been working since 8:00 in the morning. As he studied her, he realized that she was nearly falling asleep on her feet. He scrambled out of the case and moved forward, pulling her into a hug.

"Why were you working so late?" Newt asked softly.

Tina mumbled something into his chest but Newt didn't catch what it was. He gently pushed her away, holding her at arm's length.

"What was that?" he asked.

"I've got a lot of work, Newt. I've still got so much work to do. I need to be doing it now."

"Now?" Newt asked. "No, you're eating supper now and then you're going to bed."

"Newt, I've got work. I have to do it."

"You've been working for twelve hours," he insisted. "Tell me, did you even have lunch?"

Tina's eyes dropped to the floor.

"You didn't, did you?"

She slowly shook her head. Newt sighed. He turned and moved back to his case, snapped it shut, and set it against the wall. Then he joined Tina in the doorway and pulled her to the table. Queenie had already laid food there so Newt sat her down and told her to eat. She picked up her fork without protest, too tired and hungry to complain. Newt took a seat beside her and waited for her to finish. Neither of them spoke until she had cleared her plate.

"You have a picture of me stuck to the lid of your case," Tina said as she set her fork on her plate.

Newt blushed slightly. He pulled out his wand and sent the dishes to the sink. "Yes, I -- I saw it in the paper a few weeks ago."

"But Queenie already gave you a picture of me. I've seen it in your case."

"Well, when I saw the picture, I realized that there's something about you that the picture doesn't show."

"And what is that?"

Newt blushed harder. "Your eyes. They're just like a Salamander's."

Tina started. "What?" she asked with a laugh.

"You can't see it in the paper but in real life, your eyes have this effect in them, Tina. It's like fire in water, dark water, and I've never seen that anywhere but in a Salamander's eyes. You're the only person whose eyes I've seen are like that."

Tina laughed again. She pulled Newt to her and kissed him.

"Only you would compare anyone's eyes to a Salamander's," she said fondly when they pulled apart.

"You're the only one whose eyes look like a Salamander's," he murmured, kissing her again.

"I need to work," Tina murmured.

"No, you don't," Newt replied firmly. "You've been working all day. From now on, all work stays at MACUSA."

"Then can we go down into the case?" she asked.

Newt studied her carefully. "You're not too tired?"

"No," she said shaking her head. "It's too early to go to bed."

"OK, then."

They climbed down into the case and wandered around aimlessly for several minutes. Then they stopped in the empty Thunderbird enclosure.

"Do you miss him?" Tina asked softly.

Newt nodded. "A bit, but I only had him so I could release him."

Tina smiled and Newt kissed her again.

"Can I tell you something?" he asked nervously.

Tina nodded and Newt took a deep breath.

"Iloveyou," he said very quickly.

"What?" she stammered, unable to make out the words.

"I love you," Newt repeated more slowly.

"You do?" Tina breathed.

"I love you," he said again, unsure what else to say.

Tina smiled and pulled Newt back into a kiss.

"I love you too," she replied between kisses. "I love you very much."

A/N: I wrote this chapter this morning and it's a bit short but you're welcome. I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Please vote and comment.

I've got to go to school soon. Please pray I don't get sick since I woke up with a sore throat.

Have a good day!

Bye!

Written January 14, 2019.