Chapter 28: My Love

"Will you marry me?"

Kenneth asked himself in the mirror practicing for the proposal tonight. His original plan was to take her to dinner but the kids and his friends agreed to throw her a surprise engagement party. He wanted it to be special and unexpected with the people she cared for more than herself.

The camp had their grand opening on Monday  and have been open for the last five days. Therefore for this first Friday night, they planned on having a huge party inviting the community to come eat and play games with the children. Kenneth thought that this was the perfect time and way to get the kids to be on board with his plan to make this proposal work.

She had been working with the kids earlier today, helping set up for the party but had no idea that the kids knew to keep the engagement plan a secret. Sierra had gone home quickly to get ready for the night, because she wasn't prepared with any clothes at his house on the Ranch. Plus they hired enough people that they didn't have to do everything. While he waited for her to come back by 7 pm, he checked out the large farm ground space they created with a stage in the middle of a flat field and picnic tables around the perimeter of the field. Marcos, his wife and daughters had come already and as well as some more of their other friends to support him.

"Are you nervous?" Marcos asked Kenneth as he got dressed in a dark blue suit with a white button down and black loafers.

"I just want this to be perfect. I don't want to end up saying something stupid either or be mumbling in front of everybody."

"Trust me you won't, because when you're in the moment and looking up right at her, it's gonna feel like it's no one else there but you two." Marcos dusted something off his shoulders and chuckled at his best friends nervousness. "And the way that you love her, You'll do fine."

Kenneth took a deep breath and smiled at himself. "Thanks man."
*****

When Sierra got back to the Ranch, Kenneth wasn't answering his phone but one of the camp counselors found her and escorted her to the party site. She was supposed to give a quick opening speech introducing the purpose of the night to their guests and children, but she was surprised to see everyone already there and ready.

"Hey am I still making that speech or y'all did it already, it's packed over here." She said to one of the counselors who just giggled at her.

"Yeah you can still go up there, everyone was waiting to see you."

"Oh okay, haha where's Kenneth?"

"He's around here somewhere, he'd been running up and down this place."

"Okay." Sierra said and walked up onto the stage, where the roar of children screaming enveloped her as she was handed over the microphone. She was wearing a mustard off the shoulder blouse with with skinny ripped jeans and wedged heels. "Are you excited??!!" She shouted to the children.

Sierra continued to talk their guests and the children about what the night entailed but little did she know that they had a different plan for her. The first thing on the rundown was a talent show with the children. After getting off the stage and finding a spot to watch the show, Kenneth finally stepped up behind her. "Where have you been, I missed you?" She turned around and reached her arms around him to kiss him.

"I've been busy, you look beautiful as always."

"You're the one who looks good, in this suit. Why you so dressed up?"

"Why you asking me all these questions? I can't dress up for once?"

She smirked at him and turned around to the stage while he held her from the back.