Chapter 8: Not My Father

Kenneth

Friday

I stood outside my father's office prepared to lay down my aspirations with him. Whether he agreed or not. My father has always been hard on me and anytime it had to do with my career and job choices, he always wanted to control it. More so because he wanted me to be like him and I don't want to be anything like him.

He grew up on this ranch and his grandparents used it as a farmers market. They gained a lot of revenue from it that it became a town regular. However, as the country began to progress and modernize, so had the town.

It no longer looked like a typical small country town. The county built huge supermarkets, fast food restaurants, movie theaters and even a town mall.

Therefore, the importance of the farm began to lessen by the minute. My dad hated that because he felt like his childhood and family legacy was now dead. That's partly true but that didn't mean he had to turn me into a cowboy/farmer for my teenage years. It's not that I don't love this ranch, I do very much but I just don't like how my dad is taking care of it.

When he started to drink heavily, he started selling acres to people who knew nothing about farms or land in general. Two people built new houses on either side of our house even though they were far away. Some didn't do anything with it. How could he want to keep the family legacy by selling it to people to build on it. If he doesn't care anymore then he should just leave it to me. Do something my great-grandparents would be proud of, like a camp.

After graduating high school, I wanted to major in business and become a teacher but after nights of screaming and my mom trying to console me, the bastard convinced me to do accounting.

So I did. I work at a large accounting firm in Atlanta and for my dad but now I want to do what I want.

I knocked on his door and waited for him to answer.

"Come in." He shouted.

I opened the door and was greeted by him giving me a hug. It was short but he usually never did that.

"You can sit down. What do you want to talk about Ken?"

I sat down and sighed at his over-enthusiastic voice.

What's wrong with him?

"I want to take over the ranch, well actually around the barn."

"What do you mean take over, that's almost all the land I have left?"

"And who's fault is that?"

He glared at me but I didn't bulge or show defeat.

"Don't talk to me like you're smarter than me. I knew exactly what I was doing selling some land but that didn't mean I want all of it gone."

"And what exactly are you going to do with this ranch. We're no longer cropping or getting any money from the farmland so as an alternative you're selling land to get money. Plus you're barely taking care of my horses. What are you going to sell them too?" I said my voice raising.

"Kenneth, calm down."

"No, I'm not going to calm down. I don't like how you're abusing the land our family has owned for decades. If you're not going to use this as something good then give it to me." I said to him sternly.

He crossed his arms and stared at me, "What are you trying to do with the land?"

"I want to start a fun outdoor survival slash horseback riding camp for kids."

After visiting Sierra's center a couple times, I thought about letting the kids sign up to come to the ranch for a field trip or camp for the spring and summer. Of course, this wasn't going to last a whole year or so but this was something I always wanted to do. I want to teach the kid's survival skills in nature because they never know when they'll need to survive in the wilderness. It'll also be a wake-up call for the kids at her center who were used to the city and privileged life.