Chapter 13: Christmas

Christmas Morning

"So what all is left on the menu for dinner tonight, so we know what we need to make today?" Sierra asked generally. Her mom, grandma, two aunts and her cousin were scattered around the kitchen.

"How about you write it down TiTi." Adelina told her niece, Tiana.

Sierra handed her some paper from the junk drawer that was filled with paper.

Grandma answered first,"We have Cornish hens, flank steak, salmon, sautéed shrimp, mac and cheese, couscous, rice pilaf, uh what else?"

"Brussel sprouts with bacon bits, Swedish meatballs and potato salad. We need to put the hens and salmon in the oven and the Mac and cheese as well. We can make the fruit and vegetable platters now for appetizers when people come."

"Okay, did you get that, Titi?"

"Why is there so much food?" She asked Adelina.

"Because we're going to have a lot guests here."

"So that means, Steven's family." Sierra said mildly. She wondered who exactly would be coming considering there wasn't many who were close to him.

"Yes, honey. Is Kenneth coming?"

"Yeah, he is."

"I'm sure you like to see him." She said casually. Sierra's eyes widened in confusion. Was her mom on to them or something?

Everyone seemed to feel the same way as she.

"Why would I like to see him?" she asked enunciating each word.

"Oh come on girl, you two are like best friends and even though he's my stepson, he is super fine." She smiled poking her mouth out.

"Oh, Goodness mom please stop."

"It's true I'm not blind, if he wasn't going to be my stepson I'll let you date him."

Sierra stared at her mother, without her knowledge that she was dating him. She also wished he wasn't going to be her stepbrother if their parents actually got married.

"Then that's interesting." Sierra said busying herself with the Mac and Cheese she was making to put in the oven.

Her grandma which she called Meema, was eyeing her intently, standing by the refrigerator. Sierra felt her eyes against her back, so she turned toward her and Meema just smirked knowingly.

Sierra looked to her right and down, accessing her feelings. She quickly shrugged it off and turned back to her task at hand.
*****
Dinner was supposed to start at 5 but of course people came at their own times.

So because they set up the food like a buffet in the kitchen, who ever was there was prayed for and ready to go.

The older grown ups sat at the 8 seater dining room table while the rest found other places to sit.

Sierra was sitting with her cousin, Tiana, Gracie, Quinlan, Kellsey, Renee and Kenneth, who just found her.

"Hey guys!" He said aloud to the group. They were sitting in another makeshift dining area/ living room.

"Hey Cuzzo!" Kellsey said hugging her cousin.

"It's been a while, even though I hear about you all the time." She said winking at Sierra, who just rolled her eyes playfully.

He smiled at her and friendly kissed her on the cheek and squeezed her to his hard chest. She played the part and flinched wiping her face.

"I swear y'all gonna be the best siblings ever, compared to my brothers." Renee announced trying a little too hard for Sierra's liking.