Part 1

"Mel! Get your ass out here! We've got to get ready and go for the tour!" Anna yells at the top of her lungs. Anna quickly shoves some biscuits in a plastic bag. She grabs her luggage as she hears her best friend of eleven years noisily comes down the stairs.

     "I'm ready when you are, mate!" Melanie goofily says as she clumsily makes the last step of the stairs, almost tripping over herself. She's in denim overalls (with sunflowers painted all over them), a clean pair of converse, and a short sleeve white and navy blue striped blouse. Her curly ginger hair is up in a messy bun and her emerald eyes glisten with happiness.

     Anna chuckles as she tilts her head towards the door. "C'mon, you clumsy fool, we have to get going. I'm going to make you socialize with the band!" Anna exclaims, bursting out the door of the flat. Melanie freezes in her tracks.

"Oh fuck, I have to meet the band?" Melanie asks, scratching her head.

     "Yes honey, I work very closely with the band, so as your best friend, I have to introduce you to them. They love me and they are going to love you! I told them you can work with me. Ever since I gave them your resume and gave them peaks of your college papers, they didn't even need to interview you or anything." Anna explains.

Melanie sighs, "You know I'm going to be awkward as hell, right? But you showed them some of my college papers?"

"Don't worry! You will be absolutely fine! Now let's stop chit chatting and leave!" Her friend says dramatically. Melanie follows her out their shared flat and into the parking lot of the apartment building. They have been living with each other ever since university and saved up enough money to buy their own flat.

The cold moonlight hits Melanie's tan and sunburnt cheeks. She squints as she drags herself out the door, locking it behind her. Goosebumps form on her arms and legs as a cool breeze hits her legs. The early morning weather always makes her feel okay.

     "Is it okay to be so nervous about touring. I know I shouldn't be, but this just scares me. Meeting and working with a huge name like Queen is just overwhelming. I haven't even started yet and I already feel like I'm going to mess something up." Melanie says as she throws her two bags and pillow in the trunk. She starts fiddling with her fingers.

Anna sighs and looks at her friend. "I got you, Mel. You're going to be fine. Freddie, Roger, John, and Brian are really sweet. You're going to be perfect! Now get in the driver's seat, I'll tell you directions to the place we will keep the car. It's a house the bands' management is renting to keep some things straight." She explains.

Melanie nods as Anna excitedly closes the trunk of Melanie's 1970 Chevy Impala. She hugs Melanie tightly. A giggle comes from both of the girls as they waddle in the moonlight.

***

Melanie pulls into space where Anna told her to park, eyes filled with amazement.

"Whoa."

"I know."

The two get out of the car. Melanie's jaw drops at the tour bus as other roadie's load some boxes into it.

"Their people." Melanie states

"Yeah honey, there are people." Anna chuckles as she takes her arm.

They get to the trunk and get their stuff. Melanie takes a deep breath and feels Anna's hand on her arm once more. It's more calm and mother-like, unlike before. It's not childish and energetic. Melanie faces her as she quickly goes to lock the car and softly smiles. Anna smiles back at her.

"I'm going to pull a cool friend move." Anna giggles and leads Melanie to the bus.

"Oh god, what are you doing?" Melanie whined.

"I have to meet up with the band and you're going with me." Her friend says in a bold voice.

"Oh no!" Melanie mutters

"Freddie! Roger!" Anna calls, dragging Melanie a bit faster.

The two friends stop in front of two men who turn around to them, a big smile on their faces.

"Anna, darling! You're finally here! I see you finally brought your friend to work with us!" The man with the mustache exclaims. "You must be Anna's dear Melanie Banks!" He says loudly.

"Hi," Melanie says shyly, cheeks heating as she tries to keep her head up. Freddie Mercury! The Freddie Mercury!

Two more men walk over, Melanie immediately recognizes them. Brian May and John Deacon. They both smile widely at Melanie. Melanie's heart pounds inside her chest, causing her to hide slightly behind Anna.

"Brian, John, we finally have Melanie Banks on our staff." Freddie continued to rave, still loud.

"Nice to meet you, Melanie," John says softly.

"Hi, Melanie!" Brian says.

Freddie turns to you. "You know, your friend Anna has talked about you for ages! She has talked so fucking well about you, you must be a goddess!"

Melanie laughs lightly, hearing the rest of the band laugh as well.

"Well, I speak the truth. Melanie is very smart and sweet. She is very quiet though, it takes a lot to get out of her." Anna winks at Roger teasingly.

     Roger scuffs, a small smirk on his face. Melanie blushes hard.

     "We should all get on the bus. We will be leaving soon." Brian suggests.

     "Yes, yes, we should. Let me go get Jim." Freddie says, rushing over to the house. The rest of the band lead the way towards the bus. Anna starts talking to Brian and John about their instruments and the perfect place to put them for the show that night.

     Melanie follows behind them as Roger filled up space beside her. Anxiety fills her head as a light blush holds in her cheeks.

     "You can talk, you know. We aren't that mean." Roger says, glancing over at the new roadie,

     "Oh, I'm sorry." Melanie quickly says.

     "Why are you apologizing? There's nothing to apologize for." Roger lightly laughs.

     "Sorry, instinct. I'm sorry."

     "If you keep saying sorry, I might as well through a tantrum." Roger teases. He looks at Melanie up and down and bites his lip. "C'mon, love, we haven't got much time! Next thing you know, Anna will have a fit if she couldn't find you!"