Part 23

Melanie lays in her bed, alone, only sheets wrapped around her body. Her eyes flutter open, glancing around the hotel room. The emptiness beside her scared her. It's cold in a way, mixed in with the warmth of the sheets.

     Pain builds up in her stomach.

     She jolts up, keeping herself covered with the sheets. A shooting pain arises in her lower back, causing her to groan. She can feel the soreness, slowing her down. Looking around, she doesn't see Roger.

      "Roger?" She says quietly as she looks around, holding her stomach. She groans again at the pain.

     "Sh, love, I'm here," Roger tells her. His voice is soft.

     "Why are you out of bed? What time is it?" Melanie reaches up and cups Roger's cheer as he sits on the bed beside her. He kisses her gently.

     "Baby, don't worry, I was just using the restroom." Roger chuckles lightly. "It's too early for you to be up. It's 6 in the morning. We leave at 10 o'clock."

     "Oh, I-"

      "How about you sleep for another hour. I'll be sure to wake you up, right at 7 o'clock." Roger tells the roadie.

     "Roger, I can't go back to sleep. Plus, I need to check with Anna and everything."

"But you're tired. You have bags under your eyes, love!" Roger states.

"Well, that's because you kept my up all night." Melanie giggles lightly as she sits up a bit. She places a kiss on Roger's lips. As they pull away from each other, they just stare at each other. Melanie's eyes are soft and gentle as they look into Roger's baby blue eyes. He smiles at her. "I'm going to use the bathroom now."

"Alright then. You better get right back into bed when you're done."

"God, you aren't my mother, Roger!" Melanie laughs as Roger gives her room to get out of bed.

As she makes her way to the bathroom, Roger bites his bottom lip as glances over at Melanie before she closes the bathroom door. He takes a deep breath and looks around the room.

Everything is neat. Even Melanie's bags are set nicely. He looks over at the bedside table. A picture of a little girl and a German Shepard. He smiles a bit. Melanie was so little in this picture. Her hair is so nice and curly like it usually is. He softens up a bit.

     "Roger, what are you doing?" Melanie giggles from the door, engulfed in her sweatshirt.

      "This picture. It's a very nice picture." Roger laughs as he stands up, kissing the top of Melanie's head. "You're so small in this picture, love."

     "I was four in that picture. That's the family dog, Milo. He was only one year old." Melanie giggles some more as Roger pulls her close to him. "I couldn't pronounce L's correctly then, so I always pronounced Milo like Mayo."

    "Oh really?" Roger laughs. He lets Melanie lean on him a bit.

     "Milo was truly a good dog. I miss him a lot." Melanie admits.

      "I'm sure. You seem really happy in this picture." The drummer kisses Melanie again.

      "Yeah. Do you want to go get food or you wanna stay here for a bit?" She asks as she looks up at the blue eyes drummer.

     Roger remembers the conversation with the boys the other day. It's about time he lets his worries out. "Can we stay here, just for a little? I actually need to talk to you about something important."