Part 29

The plane makes it's way to Edinburgh, Scotland. It could never be more fun, but Anna can't stop trying to take Melanie's mind off of the whole Roger situation from the night before. She spoiled her with food and little discussions. Everything was okay.

     Every couple of minutes, Anna notices Melanie's mind wander off like she's in a daze. It saddens her to see her friend like this. She knows about her struggles and she knows she shouldn't have yelled at everyone about Melanie's anxiety. Melanie's been thinking about Roger all day.

     "Melanie, honey?" Anna asks as she watches Melanie's eyes wander off again.

     "Yeah?"

"You've been drifting again."

"Oh, I'm sorry, I really don't mean too."

"I know you don't, but you really need to keep your mind off of Roger. It would be best for right now." Melanie looks at Anna and sighs.

"I can't just act like last night was nothing," Melanie tells her.

"It's tough, I know." Anna grabs one of Melanie's hands.

"You really don't," Melanie says. Anna's eyes fall from her best friend and down to her hand. Melanie pulls out a note and hands it to her. "Roger gave me this earlier today."

     Anna looks at her friend weirdly before taking it. She opens it and focuses on the letter. Her heart drops as she reads it. As she glances at Melanie, Anna grips her hand tighter.

     "I bet he knows he's going to lose you. But I don't know how." Anna states.

     "It definitely feels that way." Melanie looks down at her lap. "He knows I love him."

      "Like he's got you hooked around his finger." Anna sighs lightly.

     "Kind of like that."

     "And he'd probably use that to his advantage." The friends look at each other.

      "I really hope not." The roadie runs a hand through her hair.

     "If he cheats on you, you live him." Anna states.

      "I will." Melanie looks Anna in the eye. She reminds her of her oldest brother. She looks away.

     In the next row beside her, she sees a man with a newspaper in his lap. Melanie looks at the front page. Does Roger have a new girl? is plastered all over the page. The only image is blurry and can barely make out the two people in it.

     Melanie nudges Anna and gestures to it. She's horrified. Anna's jaw drops as she leans over. She's almost as horrified as Melanie is. Both of them couldn't believe their eyes.

     "Excuse me, sir? Are you done with that newspaper? May we borrow it please?" Anna asks.

     "Oh yes." The man smiles as he hands over the newspaper. The two girls thank him as they place the paper in between them.

     "Oh no. This picture was not too long ago!" Melanie whispers as she scans over the picture. The same clothes she wore to the 24/7 breakfast. Her face is hidden and you can't make out that it's her, but you can definitely make out that the other person is Roger Taylor.

     Anna flips through the pages, looking for other pictures. Melanie rubs her eyes as she eyes the paper. She can't believe what is happening.

     Drummer, Roger Taylor (35), was seen with a young lady early in the morning before the show that day. Taylor not staying loyal again? Even when there's a baby on the way?"

"Why does this need to happen?" Melanie mumbles. "I can't believe this."

     Taylor performed great that day and must have performed better in the night before. Taylor has a reputation for having a bit of fun with groupies and girls he sees on tour.

Is the drummer cheating yet again?

Is this just another girl that will be replaced tomorrow night?

Who is this mystery girl?

Just another groupie of Queen? Only if we can see her pretty face.

     "I guess I'm a fucking groupie now."

"I'm so sorry." The two read over the front page. This is too crazy for them. "But you know...maybe you could tell him about this. About the picture."

      "Yeah, maybe. I don't know if I could talk to him right now though. It just doesn't feel right." Melanie sighs as she hands the paper back to the man and thanked him.

"But the sooner the better."

"I know."

The plane lands with rough turbulence.

***

     Melanie sighs loudly as she tosses her bags in the chair in the corner. Anna watches her curl up into a ball on her bed. Melanie shoves her face into a pillow.

"Maybe you should just rest for a little while. I'll tell the boys that you're not feeling well." Anna states as she sits on the bed next to Melanie's.

"I don't want attention," Melanie mumbles as she adjusts herself on the bed.

"You won't get attention Mel, it's not a big deal."

      "But I know Roger might want to come by," Melanie says.

      "And that's good of him. Mel, maybe you should take tonight off. You've been working your ass off this whole tour and your relationship hit a rough spot." Anna suggests.

"No, but I want to work."

     "You need a break more than ever. Please, just stay here and take time off. You need it. You'll drive yourself mad if you keep up pretending like everything is normal." Anna states. Melanie sighs as she looks at her best friend.

"Fine, but just for a couple of hours. I want to be at the concert tonight." Melanie tells her.

"That's alright with me. Now you get to sleep." Anna says as she gets a new pair of clothes.