Part 30

It's too quiet in the hotel room, but the city is loud. Melanie looks out the window to see traffic and people flooding stores. A bunch of smiling faces mixed with grumpy ones.

The roadie walks away from the window. She picks up the first jacket she sees. She takes a pause, looking at the familiar leather jacket. Hesitantly putting it on, Melanie looks into the nearest mirror.

She takes a deep breathe as she looks at herself. She thinks back to that time when she was with the boys for the first time. Out with them and Roger was so sweet to her.

     "I just want to say that I find you very pretty," Roger says.

     "You do?"

     "Yeah, actually, I do,"

     Melanie looks away from him, embarrassed by how red she is getting. "Thank you, Roger," Melanie fidgets with her hands.

     "I'm making you uncomfortable, aren't I?" Roger chuckles lightly, starts to scoot little away, but before he can, Melanie gently grabs his arm.

     "Please don't scoot away from me-" Melanie gulps as she sees Roger smirk, raising his eyebrow in question. "You're just...you're warm," Melanie states. Roger scoots back, but closer to Melanie.

     He takes off his leather jacket, wrapping around Melanie. He places his hand on her the open skin of her inner thigh. Melanie bites her lips as goosebumps rise, melting into the drummer's touch. "Better?"

     Melanie zips up her jacket before she searches for her bag. A knock at the door disrupts her. She walks over to the door and cracks it open. Roger.

Opening it fully, Melanie lets him in. He has a newspaper in his hand. Anger and anxiety are in his eyes. "Did you know we were in the fucking paper?"

"I saw it this morning. I was going to tell you about it tonight." Melanie tells him. Roger looks at her. She can't tell what he is feeling.

"Alright. But if we have to keep us a low profile, we can't go out with each other anymore! Not at all!" Roger says frustratingly.

"Rog, why are you so mad?"

"Why aren't you mad?"

"I'm more upset, if I say so myself."

Roger looks over the newspaper. "They called you a groupie. They said that you're probably fucking Brian and John."

"I know they called me a groupie, but I didn't know they said that." Melanie states, glancing down at her feet.

"This is so stupid. I should've known that going out with you alone would've blown our cover." Roger sighs, putting a hand on his face. "This is terrible."

"I know it is. But we can make this better, yeah?"

"But how, Mel? How?" Roger asks, his voice loud, as he looks at Melanie. He scared her.

"I...I don't know." Melanie looks at him for a bit before she starts to sway nervously.

     "You know, I really want us to work out and the media is not going to help at all."

     "I want us to work out too."

     "Do you think this break would help us at all?"

     "I thought we discussed that already." Melanie states as she sits at the edge of her bed, arms crossed.

     "Melanie, I must tell you something." Roger sighs suddenly.

     "What is that?" Melanie watches Roger sit down on the other bed.

"The boys have been frustrated. I have been frustrated. This tour has been hectic for us, you know. It has been hard on us. Having you with me on this tour has helped. Knowing that I can have you in my arms has helped."

Roger watches Melanie tense up with blush. He runs a hand through his hair. Watching Melanie, Roger notices the leather jacket. His eyes soften at the sight of it. He knows that she still wants to be with him.

He continues, "I just want you to know that...that I will stay with Dominique for a couple of weeks after the tour. I must be there for her and my children. But nothing more than that, I will always come back to you."

"I know you will." Melanie says. She's not surprised. "You need to be with them. That's the right thing to do."

"So you understand?"

"Yes, I do understand."

"I can't be seen with you for a bit. To protect our privacy. If something like that happens again, they will see your face." Roger states. He points at the newspaper, "if this happens again, we don't know what they'll say."

     "It's a lot to handle." Melanie states.

      "Yeah." The drummer sighs as he looks Melanie up and down. She has her arms crossed and a foot tapping on the floor. She looks back at him. "Are you feeling any better?"

     "What?"

     "Anna told me an the boys you didn't feel good."

      "Oh yeah. Yeah, I feel better. Thanks for asking." Melanie awkwardly rubs the back of her neck as she looks away from the drummer.

     Roger stands up and walks close to Melanie, placing a hands on her cheek. The roadie looks up at the drummer. Roger see's that she is sad. All the time that he has been in the room, Melanie has been off.

     He places a kiss on the top of her head. He sighs lightly as he tangled his fingers into Melanie's hair. A small smile appears on Melanie's face.

     "I have to leave." Roger states, his voice sad.

     "Oh, okay. I'll see you after the show?"

      "How about you stay here, you seem to need  some sleep. You don't seem well." Roger says. He hesitantly places another kiss on the top of her head. "Goodbye Melanie."

      Melanie watches Roger walk out of the hotel room. A tear runs down her cheek. Her heart drops. More tears run down her cheeks like a river. She falls back onto her bed, wiping her tears away.

She knows she's never going to have him back soon enough. She rolls onto her side, spotting her camera on the dresser.