Part Ten

Ferris

I hadn't talked to Fraener or Zaelyn in a week and I was stuck moping around the castle. I'm meant to see them in a few days when we go to Fraener's region for educational purposes but that was still too far away. I've tried to do everything I'd normally do, catch up on my studies, visit the garden- everything a lonely prince would do but it just wasn't enough!

I was getting restless and now I wasn't ashamed to admit I wanted to see both of them, bad. I noticed that the guards and the maids were all staring at me weird every time I walked by. I felt as if I was prancing around naked or with my wings out.

I was at a particularly low moment and decided to take out my phone and scroll for their names. 'Zaelyn Chamire'. My eyes stayed fixated on the glowing screen for a bit before my thumb grazed the round green button and placed it up to my ear.

As it rang I pulled my legs up to my chest and draped the cozy blanket over my body. "Hello? Who's this?" His voice flooded my senses and calmed my nerves. Now all I had to do was talk to him. "Zaelyn! I-It's so good to hear you again!" I sighed with all enthusiasm.

It was silent, too silent. I listened in closer and heard him whispering to someone else. Oh god, this wasn't turning out as well as I hoped. "Uhh, hi, Ferris." He murmured. Why was he acting off? Usually he was out going. "Is something wrong?" I asked innocently. Maybe that kiss meant more to him and I squandered it like it meant nothing.

"Listen, Ferris. After the next few weeks have ended I don't think we should talk anymore." He sighed. I couldn't tell if he was joking or being serious. Why wouldn't he want to talk to me again? "What? Why?" I asked my voice straining while tears stung my eyes.

"It's for our best interests. Fraener agrees,"

A tear slipped out and stained my cheek. This was the very first time I cried over a guy. Well, two guys.

"S-So you're just going to lead me on than drop me?" I whispered in fear of I went any louder he'd notice how broken I sounded. My sadness was turning into anger, something I hadn't felt before. "You're just going to leave? Go back to not talking to me? The sad soon-to-be king who hides himself in his castle?"

I didn't even notice I was sobbing uncontrollably until there was a knock on the door. "Is everything okay in there, sire?" A small voice asked. I chose not to respond. "Ferris I'm so sorry bu-"

"Save it. I thought you guys changed. I guess I was wrong.." I seethed before pulling the phone away from my ear and hitting the giant red button.

Dorothy, one of the many maids that served my Father cracked open the door making me scurry to clean myself up. I wiped away my tears and fell back onto my bed trying to convince her that I was sleeping. My sobs turned into light whimpers. She tsk'd before closing the door leaving me feeling more alone than I was before I reunited with Zaelyn and Fraener.

Maybe Father was right? Maybe making friends only leads to more pain and suffering a war could ever induce. My relationship with them two was strange and confused me but it invoked the most emotion I hadn't felt in years. Looking at it now it was probably all a stupid prank.

They probably wanted to humiliate me further as an adult and acted all kind. That still didn't explain the kiss but I didn't care. I was too sad and angry to care.

**

Zaelyn

'I thought you guys changed. Guess I was wrong..'

Those last words stab through me and left me defeated. I tried to reason with Fraener but he said it was too 'risky'.

Answering that call was the worst mistake of my life. He tried to hide how distressed and sad he was which broke my heart more. "It's for his own good," Fraener calmly spoke up again. He didn't even pay attention when Ferris called. He held his brooding mirage and kept an eye on the marching soilders out in the courtyard. "Bullshit!" I barked yet he still remained in place on his stupid balcony! "Didn't you hear how distraught he sounded?! He broke down crying!"

He still stood straight with his hands held behind his back. He reminded me too much of my Father. His stand-offish behaviour was annoying me. "Do you not care?!" I screamed and that got his attention; in the form of a murderous look. He spun around, his long orange hair whipping around. He trudged over to me still keeping that dangerous scowl and got up in my face. His golden eyes burned with fire from the deepest depths and smoke pooled out from his nostrils indicating his dragon was at the surface.

"Of course I fucking care! You think I'd rather push him away than be with him?! I care for him more than I should!" He roared, his voice lowering to something non-human. "How dare you pin me as the villain! I'm in as much pain as you are!"

With that, he stormed off most likely to shed his skin and go for a fly. I felt shitty. Now I've hurt the two people I care about most. Fraener's anger will only grow until either his Mother or one of his numerous sisters calm him down. To top it all off, I'll have to face Ferris in a few days and I won't have Fraener to help. Maybe I could fix our mistake and mend our relationship with Ferris.

For that, I'm going to need backup. I whipped out my phone and searched for Rafael's contact. I called him and pressed it to my ear. "Hellooo?" An unfamiliar voice slurred. "Who's this?" I instinctively asked hearing the voice hiccup. "It's Xan, silly!" He shrilled. I rolled my eyes, estimating how long it would take to get him to hand over the phone to Rafael. "I need, Rafael, Xan. Can you do that?"

For a stocky nymph like him he rrally does sound a lot like Ferris. There was a shuffling sound before the voices of other people erupted and blared into my ear. "Rafael! Someone's on the phone!" He shouted, his voice distant.

"What were you doing with my phone, baby boy?"

"Watching porn!"

I smiled, remembering the many times I've pulled that stunt with Fraener. "Zaelyn! Sorry for the inconvenience!" He excused. "It's fine," I said while compressing my lips into a fine line. "We need your help, again."

The witch chuckled. "And with what, huh?"

I couldn't be bothered answering that question.

"That doesn't matter. I just need your friends. A lot of them.."