Perhaps, maybe

Kyo x Reita

A thumb pressed on the ‘SEND’ button before closing the mobile phone, letting the black device rest on the table as he continued to write on one of the loose sheets of paper scattered on the table. Soon enough, a soft vibration was felt and Kyo’s eyes flicked to the black device, now blinking at him. An uncharacteristic grin appeared on his face as he scanned through the contents, not bothering to reply this time, now all more determined to finish writing the current lyrics he was halfway done with.

“You seem happier”

Kyo did not look up to know that it was Kaoru, now settled himself on the chair opposite him who is speaking.

“I am”
“I am glad”

Kyo made a soft assenting sound as he tidied up his own messy scrawl so that it is readable by the rest.

“Who is she?”
“He”

He then did look up, wanting to see Kaoru’s reaction to it. The older man just raised an eyebrow, tapping his chin thoughtfully.

“That’s surprising”
“Yeah, I think so too”
“But it is still good”
“Yes, I think so too”

Both exchanged grins as Kyo tidied up his things, passing the sheets to Kaoru as he then proceeded to take his leave, needing to meet a certain bassist soon.

“Kyo”

He turned to see his long time best friend waving at him, beckoning him to come closer. He gave a woeful grin, soon standing in front of Shinya who looked more nervous than ever.

“I am going to ask her to move in with me. Do you think she’ll ever accept it?”

A soft punch was given to the drummer which was returned feebly.

“You already asked her to marry you. Don’t you think this is just a common second step someone would take?”

Shinya then grinned sheepishly before giving Kyo a quick hug, something foreign to both of them before Kyo waved Shinya off and continued on his way.

As Kyo walked towards the park, he thought long and hard about earlier. It didn’t hurt anymore. It doesn’t hurt to know of Shinya and Miyuki, the girl that he was in love with for far too long, the girl that he could never have, the girl that he know Shinya would make a better husband for. He caught sight of Reita who was half lying on the bench, eyes intent on the sakura trees above him, a soft smile apparent on the other’s face. A similar smile also appeared on Kyo’s. He approached the bassist quietly from behind, hands poised to cover Reita’s eyes.

“Kyo”

Kyo gave a jump and a petulant sulk at Reita’s back before he joined the other on the bench.

“How did you know?”

It is interesting to see the slow rising red on Reita’s fair skin, one that started from his neck, slowly crawling up the fair skin, even tinting the bassist’s ears. He wondered what went on in Reita’s mind to have warranted such a reaction from him.

“Rei?”

Eyes flew up to meet Kyo’s at the shortened form of his own name, the first time Kyo ever said it. It made Reita feel as if they are far more than just friends. Kyo gave an uncertain look at Reita’s reaction.

“Is Rei okay?”

Reita nodded, a quick grin again flashed on his face. It is scary how dependent both of them had grew on each other. Without realizing it, they had both become each other’s pillar of support, the listening ear, the voice of reason and calm, the one to set the mood of the other. All these while just being platonic friends. Yes, ever since their encounter two months back till this day, their relationship had been platonic, both not wanting to start anything, not when neither can give their 100% into the relationship, it not being fair to the other to start a relationship that would be tainted from the beginning with doubts.

Both fell in to a comfortable silence which Reita now associate with Kyo, the calmness and peace radiating from Kyo influencing him, never cease to surprise him at how Kyo could make him feel this way. A cheeky grin appeared on Kyo’s face when he again turned to Reita, a glint that doesn’t bode well for Reita in his eyes.

“So how did you know it is me?”

The mumble was almost missed by Kyo but then he did catch it and his grin widened as he leant closer.

“So how do I smell like?”

Reita refused to take a sharp intake of breath at the tickling of Kyo’s breath on his cheek, their close proximity messing up his thoughts. An accusing glare was given to the shorter man who just laughed, knowing full well of what are the reactions caused by his actions on Reita. He pulled away, giving Reita some room to re-gather his jumbled thoughts.

“It doesn’t hurt anymore”

Kyo does not have to explain further for Reita to be understood on what he meant. Kyo could feel the weight of Reita’s eyes on his before the other looked up at the blossoms of sakura above them.

“That is good”

A nod and then Kyo got up, standing in front of Reita, offering a hand which was taken. Reita grabbed his own bag, both of them walking towards the sushi restaurant that they had often frequent whenever they meet up. As they stand at the busy junction where four major roads meet, big televisions hang outside the shiny buildings, showing commercials and often promoting new music and movies. They waited for their turn to cross amongst the many people they stood with.  When the light turned green, beckoning for them to move, they were jostled as impatient people brush past them, both of them still standing their ground, eyes intent on the television.

Reita did not look away from the television, did not look away from the person currently on the television screen, did not look away from the almost seductive smirk on the other’s face, did not look away even when the camera switch to yet another man. The light then turned red, Reita’s eyes finally look away and now at Kyo who was watching him the whole time.

“It does not hurt anymore”

Reita could hear the ending guitar riff from the Hyena promotional video which was ending as Kyo too smiled.

“I am glad”

They could perhaps now move on.