Chapter Seventeen

After Regina and Emma spent an afternoon on the couch, they spent the next six days apart, allowing each other space and time to heal. However, she did bump into the sheriff at Granny's a few random days during the week around lunch time. They had shared a soft smile, and small conversation, mostly about missing their son, nothing too incriminating in case the nosy citizens were eavesdropping.

Emma would send her messages late at night, checking in while also updating the mayor on her life. She would drop little hints on how she's ready for the next step; stating that although she is sad her marriage has come to an end so soon, she is also relieved she doesn't have to live that lie anymore. They usually spend most nights sending friendly and sometimes flirty and daring messages which helped ease the loneliness in the oversized mansion.

Most days, Regina stays far away from her home, knowing it's just a constant reminder, taunting her that her son has left the nest. She tends to fill the hours with the sun present, in her office, working later and later each passing night to keep her mind busy. She's even accepted a dinner with Snow and another with her sister just to avoid the house. She's not sure if they see the pain in her eyes and if their invites are just for pity, but at this point she's willing to accept just about anything to keep her mind off the fact that she may never see her child again.

This particular evening though, she finds herself exhausted and alone, stumbling into Granny's from the lack of motivation to cook herself dinner. She had already ordered and claimed a seat at the counter while she waits.

"How about a cup of coffee?" Granny kindly offers with her pot already slicing through the air toward the mug in front of her.

"I rather not have any more caffeine to keep me up this evening," she tiredly answers, suppressing a persistent yawn that has traveled with her all damn day.

"Yeah, and I rather not see that sourpuss expression in my diner again," she grumbles, pouring the steaming cup with expertise. Regina just glares at the woman, but is too exhausted to open her mouth and slay the old woman with a sarcastic quip. "You're really having a hard time adjusting without Henry, huh?"

The woman abruptly spins around and violently shoves the coffee pot onto its burner before turning back around to face the mayor. She places her hand upon her hip and peers at her over those framed glasses with a stern look that informs Regina that she needs to start talking.

"Of course I am, he's my son," she exasperates, but there just isn't any bite left in her tired tone.

"Hey, I know how it is. Or did you forget that Ruby left Storybrooke as well, never to be seen or heard from again?" Granny barks right back, never being one to back down from a snippy remark.

"Technically, we did see Ruby again and we told you that she is doing just fine in Oz with Dorothy. Henry showed you the page from his book and all."

"I know, but that still doesn't help the fact that I miss her every day and that you all got to see her, but I didn't."

"I understand," she sadly responds, because now she can sympathize with the crotchety woman.

"It does get easier though," Granny concludes, snatching the dish rag upon her shoulder to mindlessly wipe down the counter. "Just one day at a time."

The little bell above the door chimes as another person comes breezing in for the night and just like everyone always does in this town, they all peek to catch a glimpse of who's entering. Regina, on the other hand, doesn't have enough energy to lift her head or even care at this point who's waltzing in.

"Maybe you should lean on a friend who's going through the same thing," Granny remarks, catching Regina's attention.

She peers through her eyelashes and watches as Granny nods her head toward the door. She sighs heavily and takes a chance, peeking over her shoulder to find the one person who can definitely turn her mood around.