11

Jack sat impatiently on the wooden chair right outside Principal Weatherbee's office

Jack sat impatiently on the wooden chair right outside Principal Weatherbee's office. Her mother was inside his office, arguing with him. While everyone else involved got sent to sent back to class with a week's worth of detention, Jack was getting suspended. It wasn't just because she punched her sister right in front of Weatherbee, it was more so the fact that Baxter High's head cheerleader was in the hospital with a broken nose, jaw, and a few bruised ribs. All of which had been caused by Jack.

"A one-week suspension!" Diana exclaimed loudly, "This can't be serious! Jack has never once been in any trouble at this school."

"She severely injured that girl, Miss Hall," Weatherbee informed the woman, "She was admitted to the hospital with multiple injuries. You should be glad that the girl's family isn't pressing charges."

Diana sighed dramatically, picking up her purse before heading toward the door. She opened the door to the office, causing Jack to straighten up in her seat. She took one quick look at Jack to see not a single scratch, which scared her a bit. She immediately looked away from Jack, causing a hurt look to grow on Jack's face, "Mom--" She began to apologize, but Diana was quick to cut her off.

"Let's go," Diana told her sternly, not even looking Jack in the eye. She couldn't. She was so disappointed in her. She figured that if someone were to end up the trouble as Tommy did, it would be Elena, not innocent little Jack. But she was wrong, of course.

Jack sighed in defeat. She stood up from her seat and followed her mother toward front entrance doors of the school. They ended up passing by Reggie, Jason, and Chuck, who stood together in the hallway together, talking about what had happened.

Polly and Betty were standing together also and locked eyes on Jack as her mother escorted her out. Jack avoided eye contact with everyone she passed, just as her mother had done to her.

She knew for a fact that she was going to be the talk of the town for a least a month and for some reason, she didn't give a hell.

Once getting in the car, Jack's mother drove in the direction of their house in utter silence. Within a few minutes, they had arrived home and Diana took the keys out of the ignition. Jack remained sitting in the passenger's seat, knowing her mother was about to burst at any second. She always did. Just not with her. That day would be the first time her mother had ever been disappointed in her.

"Is it drugs?" Diana asked her youngest daughter, breaking the silence between them, "Is that why you did this? Because you're on drugs? Because if it is, I can get you help."

"Mom, I'm not on drugs!" Jack responded loudly, shocked that her mother would think such a thing.

There was yet another moment of silence between them until Diana asked yet another question, "Does this have to do with Tommy?" She asked Jack, who remained silent.

Jack couldn't keep what she knew a secret anymore and turned to her mother, "Why did you lie to us, Mom?" She questioned her mother, causing Diana to frown in confusion.