When It All Sinks In

Song: Everything is lost by Maggie Eckford

That evening we are watching the television. Some stupid sitcom is on, that I do try to watch and laugh along with everyone else. During a commercial I get up to go to the bathroom and when I come back, I happen to look up at the screen and it is on a breaking news update. Guess who is plastered all over the screen.

Yep! No other than Mr. Harper himself. I try to ignore it but the news reporter is stating all the bodies that were recovered from the property.

'Mr. Steven Harper still remains behind bars even though he is trying to post bail. The house that he lived in was burnt down, claiming the lives of his wife Margie Harper and older daughter, Stella Harper. His son Anthony Harper who was not home that night claims to be at a friend's house. We will never know the truth of his whereabouts. Anthony Harper went to school at Eastside High where he walked into the school one morning and out of nowhere just started shooting at the students. K00illing six of the high school's football players and one of the cheerleaders before taking his own life.'

'Meanwhile investigators stumbled along a well at the house and recovered over twelve bodies. After intensive test and using dental records a few of the bodies have been identified. Julie Martin age 26, Samantha Hull age 22,...'

I try not to listen to the names but then I hear... 'Jamie Harlow...34'. I tense up and I know for a fact that my heart stopped in that moment. Jamie, Jamie Harlow...that is my mom. They have got to be mistaken. My mom left me. My mom was there one day and gone the next; she left us. I can't breathe. I start to tremble, my whole body is on alert. I feel like I may pass out. Everyone else is still looking at the screen and talking to each other about this crazy guy. And then I happen to look back up and everyone is looking back at me. A picture of me is on the screen, they are talking about how is it possible for me to escape.

'Katana Harlow, the daughter of Jamie Harlow, was found less than two miles from the home. She was brutally beaten, raped and left for dead. How did she escape this hell...when all these other women couldn't. We are unable to contact her at the moment. Her father, Sheriff Harlow refuses to give any information at this time. From her latest statement, Steven Harper is the accused person in question. At this moment we are not allowed to comment about certain details until after the trial....'

No one gets to hear anymore of the news cast because Raine turned it off. Not only that but he picks up a nearby chair and slings it across the room and it comes down with a loud thud. The whole room goes still, errie quiet. Two of the guy nurses come over to talk him down, but it doesn't help. I have never seen him this mad.

Marie comes over towards me. "Katana would you like to go back to your room?" I nod my head yes as I try to hold back the tears. She walks with me back to my room. When she leaves I curl up in the corner and cry.

I need to talk to my dad. Does he know this; does he know that Mr. Harper killed my mom? Does he know; what if he knew all along and he just told me that she left? I got to talk to him.

I leave my room and head towards Sarah's office. I don't have an appointment with her but I have got to talk with her. Of course she is out of the office due to being after hours. I can't help but bang and bang on her door until a nurse come over to help.

"Katana, Sarah will have to talk to you in the morning."

I yell at her. "NO! NOW! I need to talk to her. I need to talk to my dad. I need..." I keep pushing them away from me and out of nowhere another nurse comes over and gives me a shot. Before I realize it everything goes numb and I faint to the floor into arms that try to hold me up.