Chapter 19

Time: 13:00

Location: Avenger's Tower, New York. New York.

Maddie leaned back in her chair, arm's crossed. Around the room, the other Avenger's did the same. There was a silence so tense you could have broken Thor's hammer with it. Pietro finally broke the silence. 

"So, let me get this right. HYDRA is up to something, and you want us," The speedster motioned to him and Wanda. "To pose as decoys?" Electricity crackled off his finger tips, signaling he was upset. Wanda had shrunk back against the wall, her magic glowing red. Steve Rogers shifted, not liking the idea. Sam sighed, looking upset. Maddie shot him an odd look. Why was he showing so much emotions? It didn't seem right. Nick Furry shrugged. 

"Yes." He stated, crossing his arms and sending the group a challenging glare. "I've thought this through, and it's the best way." Maddie turned her focus back to Furry. She glanced back at the two siblings. They looked upset and frightened at the prospect of having to face the terrorist organization again. 

"But what if it goes wrong and they capture us?" Wanda asked, her accent becoming more prominent with stress. Her hands crackled with red magic and a chair tipped over. She closed her eyes,  taking a deep breath to calm her emotions. There was an awkward silence as no one really wanted to consider the prospect of the twin's being sent back there. Pietro zipped over to his sister, putting his arm around her comfortingly. She buried her face in his chest, trying to control her panic. Maddie swallowed, then spoke.

"It would make more sense if I was the bait." She said, trying to control her racing heart. Tony jerked, staring at Maddie. The teenager was conscious of all eyes in the room turning to her. Furry's eye twitched and he gave her a silent, explain, look. Maddie took a deep breath.

"It would make more sense for me to be the one, I haven't publicly been in the Avenger's. Also, it would look a little weird if suddenly Wanda and Pietro decided to turn themselves in." She explained, forcing herself to calm down. Sam was surprisingly quiet in the stunned silence. Tony stood up.

"You know what?" He stated. "That makes absolutely no sense." His brown eyes flashed. "What's your motive? What makes you tick? Why would you offer yourself up?" He demanded, then shook his head. "I don't get it, I really don't, so why don't you explain that part to us, huh?" Maddie was tempted to punch him. He was so arrogant it made her blood boil. She calmed herself. It would do no good to cause more trouble.

"I don't want them going back there." She admitted, glancing at Wanda and her brother. "They wouldn't stand a chance in there." She said getting to her feet. She was meet by the stunned looks of the others in the room. She snorted. 

"What, you think I didn't have a heart?" She rolled her eyes. There was more silence, and Thor looked away uncomfortably. The Director of S.H.I.E.L.D gave Maddie a cool, appraising look. He regarded her for a long moment, then spoke slowly. 

"I think that might work, Agent." The Assassin sat down, sighing in relief and anxiety. The other Avenger's shifted in their seats. Steve cleared his throat and everyone looked at him. He was becoming the leader again. 

"So, now that that's figured out, we're going to plan from there." He stated, and felt relived when consent came from around the table. Maddie wondered why Sam was acting so quiet. She turned to look at him. His eyes were dark, and he sat relaxed in his chair, a thoughtful look on his face. Maddie turned her attention back to the plans being discussed.