Chapter 29

Time: 13:30

Location: Helicarier.

You started off down the hallway at a brisk walk. You had to force yourself not to run. You stopped for a moment to collect yourself. It would not be good to walk into the command center looking panicked or anxious. You took a deep breath, then kept going down the hallway. You stepped into the command center, walking briskly, faking a sense of purpose. It was the best way to get out of here. You had to look like you belonged.

You were almost up to the first computer, no one looked up at you. Your heart pounded. If Director Hill was in here, you were dead. Now you wished you had thought about that. You walked past the first people, who were too busy to notice you. You kept walking quickly, head down. You glanced around quickly as a group of Agents passed you. They didn't spare you a second glance. 

You where almost halfway across the control room, and you could see the light from the huge window's streaming into the room. Outside, the grey planes shone in the late afternoon light. If you could reach one of those, you would be out of here. You glanced at the place where Director Hill usually stood. She wasn't there. You sighed in relief. That helped you. Hill probably had been the one to order you arrest. 

You kept going, your pulse in your throat as you realized you where in the middle of the room. You could do this! You were almost there! you thought excitedly, and your pace quickened. That was what gave you away. In your excitement and relief, you had forgotten the number one rule. Never run if you are trying to blend in. A shout was heard behind you as you burst through the door and out onto the hanger. 

The alarm blared as you sprinted out on the tarmac. You headed for a fighter plane and leaped up onto it, quickly powering it up. The hatch slid shut as shots rang out and you heard bullets ping off metal. You managed to take off, ignoring the voice coming over the headset. You ripped it off, smashing it against the seat.

Your adrenaline rush had started to fade as you realized that you had escaped. You sighed, wiping sweat off your face. You had walked into the lion's den, and come out of it alive. Now, to find a place to land.  

Continue to chapter 31.