Chapter 39

Time: 10:00 

Location: Avenger's Tower, New York. New York.

Maddie finished her work out with the other Avengers. Everyone gathered up their things in preparation to leave. Steve stopped them with a few words.

"We have to talk about the mission." He told the team. Everyone stopped what they were doing. An awkward tension filled the air. Tony was leaning against the wall, eye's flitting from person to person. Maddie looked away, disgust in her gaze as she sheathed her knives. Sam's face was blank and he stood with his back to the wall. Natasha held one of her widow gantlets, an embarrassed look on her face. Bucky looked away, ashamed, eye's dark. Thor shifted uneasily, messing with the grip on his hammer. Pietro froze in his spot, mouth halfway open as if he were about to protest. Clint pulled his bow string lightly, it twanged in the silence and he kept his gaze trained on his bow. Wanda blinked back tears as the emotion's in the room washed over her. Her hand's flickered with red magic for a moment before she controlled her powers. Steve shifted where he stood. He cleared his throat, trying to figure out how to say what he wanted to say without starting a war.

"We all messed up." He told the assembled Avengers. The tension in the room grew thicker, and Tony scowled. He didn't like the fact that they had messed up, but he knew they would have hurt worse if they had left Maddie. 

"So? were we just supposed to let Maddie go back there?" He burst out indignantly. "We all know what they're like. Not one of us would be able to walk away from there without feeling guilty." Everyone considered his words, and the tension in the room faded. Tony was good at bringing certain truths to light. He had his place on the team, even if he stepped on a lot of toes. 

"True." Steve said after the silence. He gave Tony a thankful look, glad that he had somehow managed to diffuse the situation. That was probably a first for the man who took delight in pissing people off. 

"I take it Coulson has talked with all of you about the mission?" He asked, and he was rewarded with sullen glares. Yep, they had sat through the debriefing. He took a step back, wondering if the Assassin's in the room where about to kill him. He cleared his throat.

"Ok, then each of you know where you messed up. I don't think I have to discuss the matter with you anymore." he said, then left before he could get a knife in the back. The other Avenger's quickly dispersed after their leader left.

Maddie went to Sam's room, shadowing her boyfriend. He shot her an irritated look as she shut the door behind her. Maddie just crossed her arms. She had a crafty look on her face. 

"So, what do you say to sneaking out of the tower?" She asked. he gave her a startled look. His eye's blinked slowly at her from under his blond hair. He tugged it to the side. His face was blank. 

"You know what the other Avenger's say about that." He warned his rebellious girlfriend. She rolled her eyes. Was he doubting their skills? She moved to grab his hand. 

"What's the worst thing that can happen? We get mobbed?" She scoffed. Sam looked at her for a long moment, contemplating his choices. He got to his feet. 

"Fine." He consented, letting the girl drag him over to the window. She opened it, and Sam blanched. Was she serious? 

"It's sixty stories down!" He said, wondering if Maddie had actually snapped. She gave him a strange look, then waved her gauntlet in front of his face. He suddenly felt stupid. 

"oh." He muttered, embarrassed. Maddie smirked, then slipped an arm around his waist. "hold on tight." She warned, then shot the grapple hook from her gauntlet. They soared above the city and landed on a roof. They quickly climbed down and slipped into the crowd, roaming New York. Two assassin's, out for trouble.