Lost

Disclaimer: Who's still writing disclaimers because she doesn't own Harry Potter? It's a me, Mario!

~~~~~

Chapter 43

It happened all of a sudden, unexpectedly. Lily was calm and collected for a while and the next moment she was running to the library as a particular memory, locked away in the corner of her mind resurfaced.

Pushing open the sturdy dark wood door of the Potters' library, she hoped to every God that her suspicion wouldn't be true, that maybe she was overthinking like she frequently did.

Lily walked along the aisles, looking through the shelves in search of the particular book. Her heart was beating frantically as she finally found the book with a worn out cover.

"Good night, Potter."

"Te amo, Evans."

"What?"

He didn't reply.

"What did you say?"

"I said te amo."

"I heard that. What does it mean?"

"It's Spanish."

"That doesn't answer my question."

"What fun will it be if I told you what it means?"

"But why can't you tell me?"

"Because there is a large probability that you will slap me once you know the meaning."

She flipped through the pages, looking for phrases and words, heart hammering against her chest all the while. Mrs. Potter had told her that every wizarding family chose to learn a language other than English. For their family, it was Spanish. She had known that ever since she heard James and Marlene talking in the language which Lily understood barely anything of.

Lily inhaled sharply when she found what she had been looking for, confirming her suspicion. She gently placed the book back on the shelf, making sure not to tear the cover that was almost falling apart. She felt a lot like the cover of the book right then.

"Of course." Lily muttered to herself as she dropped onto the arm chair. She placed her forehead on the edge of the desk, screwing her eyes shut. "Of bloody course he was stupid enough to say that to me."

She felt dumb that she never figured this out.

It's been so long, she thought, heart aching, So long and I never realized it.

What was she going to do now? How was she going to fix this?

Lily was lost.

~~~~~

"Dora is lost."

That was what Sirius gasped out when he found Lily in the library.

"What?" Lily asked, confused.

"Dora." Sirius repeated, eyes wide in panic. He was fidgeting and fretting so much that it scared Lily. "She's missing. We can't find her anywhere in the house. Did you see her?"

"No, I'm sure I didn't." Lily answered and Sirius swore under his breath. She followed him downstairs where everyone else was assembled. Andromeda looked near tears as she ran around the mansion in search of her daughter.

"I think we should split up and search." Remus suggested, "That's the easier way."

"He's right." Andromeda agreed, "I'll search near the lake with Mia. You guys should split up too."