Jerza: Scarlet Valentine

“Jellal!” Meredy squealed, shaking me awake.

            “What?” I yawned, rubbing my eyes as I got to my feet.

            “Guess what today is!”

            “Meredy,” I sighed, “I thought something was wrong. If you’re just going to play games, I’m going back to bed—“

            “It’s Valentine’s Day!” She cheered, excitedly.

            “And?” I asked.

            Ultear chuckled. “I told you he wouldn’t get it, Meredy.”

            “Get what?” I frowned at the two of them.

            “Don’t tell me you’ve never celebrated Valentine’s Day?” Meredy gasped.

            “I can’t say I have.”

            She stared at me in total disbelief. “Jellal!”

            “What?”

            “Valentine’s Day is the most important day of the year for lovers! You’re supposed to confess to the girl you like, and give her chocolates!”

            “That sounds pointless,” I frowned.

            She punched me in the chest, sighing in aggravation, “you need to buy chocolates for Erza and tell her you love her!”

            “W-What?” I gasped, feeling my face heat up. “I—I don’t—“

            “You’re so obvious,” Ultear snickered. “Just tell her already. You two are practically together anyways, right?”

            “We’re far from together,” I frowned, “and I’d really not like to discuss this with you two any further.”

            “But you do like her, right?” Meredy asked, smiling.

            “No—“

            “Jellal,” Ultear said, “we know you’ve been sneaking off to see her. Stop denying it and just go confess already.”

            “I don’t—“

            “Go!” They both shouted, pushing me out of the inn room we had been staying in, and locking the door behind me.

            With a sigh, I went into Magnolia. We had been in town for almost a week, so we would have to be moving on soon. I knew that, but I still went to see Erza every night. Ever since she had come back after disappearing for so long, I hadn’t been able to stay away from her. Every time I saw her warm smile, and those loving eyes, I was reminded of a better—more innocent—time.

            “What am I going to do now?” I complained, sticking to the shadows as I walked. The town was decorated with hearts and flowers, and every shop seemed to be selling chocolates.

            Knowing better than to go back to the inn empty-handed, I gave in and slipped inside one of the countless chocolate-selling shops and purchased a small box. It was in the shape of a heart, and a bright red color. I sighed as I walked down the street after shoving it into my pocket. It’s the same color as Erza’s hair.

            No matter how often I scolded myself about it, I couldn’t deny that I loved the woman. I had no right to, but I did.

It was the thought of seeing her again that kept me going while I was recovering my memory. Meredy and Ultear had done what they could to ease my mind about the past, but it was always the thought of Erza that reminded me I had to keep going. I had to make up for what I had done.