And So It Begins

~Chapter One~

It's been two days since I've gotten up from bed, only getting up a few times to go to the restroom. I thank god for having Monday off school, president's day or something. I rolled into a taco and cuddled my pillow to my face, without family to get me out of bed, I didn't have the motivation to do anything.

I remember how my older brother, Bandon, used to force me out of bed. Dragging me to the restroom by my ear and throwing me into the bathtub. Just like mom used to a year ago, but she's been dead for a while. My brother, on the other hand, is missing, presumed dead.

If he really is dead.

I let my tears fall into the pillow before wiping my snot on my sheets. I was a mess, I've always been a mess, and I'll always be a mess.

There was a jiggle of my door handle , catching my attention. No one is supposed to be in the house, I live alone.

"WHAT UP FUCKER," The door slammed open, revealing my brother and giving me a heart attack.

"Bandon?" I asked confused, my cheeks flushing red out of embarrassment of my condition.

Bandon got closer and I realized he was slightly transparent with a pale look to him.

"This is why mom doesn't fucking love you! Look at you! Don't tell me you've been in bed since I died." Bandon scoffed and I realized that he wasn't really there.

"Great. Now I'm hallucinating." I laid back down and tried to ignore him.

"Don't even start with that, you're not crazy. I'm a ghost."

"A ghost?"

"Yeah, you know a soul who didn't make it to the afterlife," My brother floated over me as I stared at the ceiling through him.

"Didn't know you had a soul."

"I don't know why I have it back," Bandon joked, or so I thought, and paused for a moment, "speaking of which do you know where my car is?"

"No, it disappeared, just like you did," I answered him and got up from my bed, my bones cracking from the movement.

"I didn't disappear! I was murdered!" Bandon shook his fist angrily and hit the edge of the bed.

"Who killed you?"

"I don't know, that's why I'm here."

"As a ghost?"

"No, at your house. I need your help, you're the only one who can see me. You and that homeless man down the street." Bandon scratched his black hair, which looked gray in his transparent form.

"How do you know you were murdered? Knowing you, you probably stuck a fork in the toaster and fried to death." I question skeptically, my brother was known to dance along the edges of death and stupidity.

"I was murdered I tell you! Look!" Bandon lifted his shirt to reveal 1, 2, 3,.... 28 stab wounds in his abdomen.

"Ouch..." I flinched at the thought of being stabbed that many times.

"Look at this," Bandon reached up with his hands and the wounds stretched into ovals revealing his organs.

"Gross stop!" I looked away gagging, it was disgusting.

"Not until you promise to solve my murder."

"I promise! I promise!"

"Thank youuuuu"

"Shouldn't you know who killed you? Don't you remember?" I questioned him, surely if he remembers me he could remember the one who killed him.

"I don't remember anything, I just remember having a regular day at school the day of. Then nothing." Bandon sat down at the edge of my bed, his eyebrows furrowed as he tried to remember.

"You? A regular day at school?" I chuckled, there was no way he would have a "regular day" at school.

"Okay I did set the gym on fire but that was it. After the time I created a rebellion and caused the school to shut down for a day, principle Smith told me he would expel me if I did anything else."

"And setting the gym on fire was not 'anything else'?" I sighed, there could be a million people who wanted to have him killed.

You see my family wasn't normal, my mom died by a parachute malfunction, attempting to flee the authorities after stealing the largest diamond in the world located in Paris. My dad was assassinated when I was ten, he was a drug lord who transported "Moon Dust" through America to upper Canada. Before that, my grandmas and grandpas from both families decided to pull one last heist after decades of thievery. The biggest bank in the world was robbed that day, my grandparents never seen again.

The point is, my brother could have done a lot of things I don't know about. Things that could make him a target. Finding out his murderer is not going to be easy.

"Dude you smell like beef, go take a shower, even dead I can't escape it." My brother pinched nose and turned his head from me.

"You know I have depression." I frowned, energy leaving my body as I prepared to stay in bed for the next couple days.

"Yeah I know," Bandon gave me an understanding smile.

"Can we fight a demon to get rid of it?"

"After we solve my murder bro."

~~~~