Unus Annus

Memento mori

As I left Rielly alone in her room, Dan was sitting with Rebecca.

"Everything is going to be just fine," Dan reassured her as she held her head in frustration, she was obviously overwhelmed, with raising Reilly and her mom.

"I put Reilly to sleep, I think you should do the same, Dan and I will clean up okay?" I told her and she nodded, without looking at us.

As she headed to bed, Dan and I started picking up pillows from the floor and putting the furniture back where it belonged.

After a few minutes there was ringing in my pocket. Dread filled my body as I read my name, it was Chris. Dan peeked over my should and he was instantly filled with anger.

"Don't," He muttered but it was too late, I had already clicked answer.

"Yo John, I need you to come over," Chris told me, he sounded calm.

Dan grabbed my phone, "What do you want?" Dan answered for me.

"Dan?"

"Yeah."

"I just need John for some advice, no breaking into mansions and murder this time, calm your tits."

Dan looked surprised, I forgot to tell him what happened that night. He hung up the phone and turned to me.

"You left me that night for that?" Dan asked and guilt burned through me.

"I had to!"

"You don't have to do anything!"

"I'm sorry!"

"Sorry? John... you could've fucking died. Did you even think about me? I confessed my love and you left me alone at the party. Then you left while being shot at, I laid awake all night thinking any minute Chris was going to call to tell me your dead. That the first guy I ever loved was going to die the first day we started dating. I thought I was cursed and I was scared for you. All so that you can get on Chris's good side?"

"Please Dan, I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking. I won't do anything crazy anymore okay? I just want to be with you. That's all I want," I told him and he seemed to calm down.

"You promise?" Dan asked and I nodded. "Say it then."

"I promise." Dan smiled as it left my mouth, he then gave me hug.

There was ringing again, Dan looked at my phone and read Chris's name again.

"He just wants to talk, you can come with me if that makes you feel better.

Dan's hands became fist and it looked like he wanted to crush my phone but then he relaxed. He answered the still ringing phone.

"We will be there in 15 minutes," Dan answered and hung up immediately.

~~~~~~

The ride to Chris's house was silent, but the second we entered we were greeted by whirlwind of noise. One of the twins answered the door, either it was Justin or Dallas.

"CHRIS, your gay ass friend is here with that guy!" The twin yelled, instantly there was a call back but it wasn't from Chris, instead it was from Elenor.

"JUSTIN, YOU ARE GROUNDED YOU BETTER WASH YOUR DIRTY MOUTH WITH SOAP OR I'LL MAKE YOUR BROTHER DO IT!" Elenor threatened and there was instant regret in his eyes as his brother Dallas came running to his side with a bar of soap.

Dan and I entered the house to find the family in the start of their dinner, Eleanor was sitting in a wheelchair next to Chris. Amy and Brianna were eating their meal while Justin washed his mouth with soap, Dallas sitting on the counter, enjoying the torture.

"Thanks for coming! Chris made some vegetarian pasta today! Hope you don't mind! Oh and it's nice to see you Dan! You too John, are you going to become a regular of Chris's friend group?" Eleanor greeted us.

"Mom can I stop now?" Justin cried out as he gagged on the soap.

"Fine but I better not hear another bad word." Eleanor threatened.

"Sorry for all this, I wasn't expecting you to come this soon, good thing I made extra," Chris seemed nervous as he served us our plates.

Once everyone sat down, Eleanor shakily held Amy and Chris's hand, soon we were all holding hands. Eleanor said a small prayer of grace before eating. Chris rolled his eyes, he was athiest.

Justin took a bite of his food, "God I'd rather eat the soap."

"Shut up!" Chris laughed, it was obvious Justin was joking.

"Be grateful Chris cooks, if he didn't ya'll wouldn't be eating as good as you are now," Eleanor reminded him.

"We are grateful mom, but why does he have to be vegetarian," Amy sighed as I received this new information, i didn't know he was vegetarian.

"Anyways Dan, you and John seem close," Eleanor mentioned and I took notice of how close were were together.

"Oh uhhh.." I stumbled, not knowing what to say or what i could say.

"We are a dating," Dan smiled and I calmed down for second, but now all eyes were on us.

"How wonderful!" Eleanor seemed delighted, "I don't recall you ever having a real boyfriend Dan, just a bunch of one night stands."

"Oh um, well I guess John is special you know," Dan blushed, staring at his food, he was obviously uncomfortable.

"Mom can they eat in peace?" Chris sighed.

"Oh sorry, look at me, getting invested, haven't even taken a bite of my food," Eleanor exclaimed and shakily picked up her fork.

We all ate as the family talked amongst themselves, they talked about Zach who will be sent to rehab, they also mentioned the hole in the yard where a pool will soon be. They laughed and I noticed most of their conversations were targeted towards Eleanor, she seemed to love their stories.

"I scheduled a doctors appointment for all the twins," Eleanor told Chris, I assumed it was for the flu shot, it was the time of year.

"Good, I'll have Zach take them," everyone paused, "I'll make time, just write the date and time down for me"

"I really wish you would let me schedule you as well," Chris mom mentioned.

"I'll just get it for free at a pharmacy," he told her.

"Why don't we just go there?" One of the boys  asked.

"I want all of you to get a check up as well."

~~~~~