Remember That Old Game: Pou

~Just leave it all to me~

"You're really good with kids you know," Rebbecca told me as we sat on the couch and turned on the television.

"Nah, you just raised a really good one," I told her honestly, but it was very unexpected based on the way she acts at school.

"I try my best, but it's hard being a single parent, I wish someone was around for more than a day," Rebbecca sighed as she put her head on my shoulder, there was an uneasy cold feeling on my back.

"You'll find someone," I told her.

"If you don't mind me asking, who is her father?"

"Dan."

"WHAT"

"Kidding, it's a guy named Chris, but he abandoned us."

"The guy that yelled at you at the choir room?"

"Yeah, he keeps trying to get with me again, but he is a drug dealer," She told me and she looked sad.

"Oh, I see."

"Anyway John tell me about yourself."

"Umm there is nothing much to tell, I'm pretty normal. I am on the highest five percent at school but that's pretty much it."

"That's so cool! You must be very smart huh,"

"I guess, I do work hard in school so I can get a good job one day," I told her and I could swear she was about to grab my hand.

Ring Ring Ring

"Hello? Yes, I'm Rebbecca, I'll be there as fast as I can," Rebbecca answered the phone, it sounded urgent.

"John can you get Reilly as I start the car."

Rebbecca jumped off the couch and out of the house. I went into Reilly's room to find her fast asleep. I grabbed her and she woke up for a second only to fall back asleep on my shoulder. I grabbed Mr. Snuffles and a blanket, I closed the door behind me as I made my way to Rebbecca who started the car.

~~~~

We were now in the hospital, to my surprise Reilly stayed asleep the whole ride and was now holding on to me in her sleep.

"Emily woke up for a minute but fell back asleep," The doctor told her as she opened the hospital room to reveal Rebbeca's mom in bed.

"Thanks, we will stay here for a while if you don't mind," Rebbecca told the doctor and the doctor left us alone.

"Sorry for making you come here, John. This my mom, Emily, she got in a car accident five years ago and has been in a coma ever since. She's perfectly fine but just hasn't woken up in all that time."

"I'm sorry." Was all I could think to say.

"Want me to get her off you?" Rebbecca asked as Reilly sturred on my chest.

"No it's fine, I'll just sit down," I sat on the uncomfortable hospital chair as Rebbecca waited on the other side.

There was yawn coming from the bed, we looked to find Emily squinting her eyes at the lights and closing her eyes again.

"MOM! Wake up!"

"Five more minutes," Emily answered.

"You've been in a coma for five years."

"Fine, two more minutes."

"MOM."

"Okay okay."

Rebbecca started crying as she hugged her mother it was a happy moment indeed, and then she saw me.

"Momma?" Reilly called out as she woke up from her nap, she reached out to Becca who grabbed her from me.

"Is she?" Emily asked and Rebbecca nodded.

A blunt object hit my face and the room went white for a couple of seconds.

"OH MY GOD MOM SHE'S NOT HIS, HE'S JUST A FRIEND," Rebbecca yelled as I regained my vision, I looked at the object Emily threw at me, the control for the bed.

"Oh sorry dear," Emily apologized and gave me a sheepish smile.

"It's fine," I groaned and Reilly laughed.

"Grandma's awake!" Reilly reached out to Emily but Rebbecca just sat her down next to her.

"Careful, Grandma is really weak right now," Becca warned her.

"Nonsense, give me a hug," Emily said and she gave her granddaughter a hug.

Rebbecca grabbed my hand and walked me out of the hospital room.

"Thanks for coming with me, you were here for me today, you don't have to stay if you don't want to," Rebbeca's hand intertwined with me and she looked up at me with appreciation, I blushed not knowing what to say.

"No, it's fine. It's good to see you happy." Rebbecca smiled but it was cut short as she saw past me. She immediately let go of my hand.

"Hey, buddy get away from her!" Chris's voice echoed through the mostly empty halls of the hospital.

"I don't want any trouble," I told him and there was an odd stench coming from him, weed.

"Me either man so go away before you start some."

"Chris get away from me, I don't want to see you," Rebbecca glared at her ex, there was click from the door as Reilly came out, most likely from the commotion.

"Hey Ri Ri," Chris said softly but Reilly was furious.

"You're not my dad, ugly ass fucking loser," Reilly yelled as she hid behind her mom.

"Fuck you kid," Chris yelled and I decided to take him away before this escalates.

"I'll take care of this," I whispered to Rebbeca before grabbing Chris's shirt and pulling him away.

"BYE JOHN! Come back soon!" Reilly yelled as Rebbecca pulled her into the room.

"Dude let go of me man," Chris swung his fist at me but he was weak and I easily dragged him in the elevator.

"You're high, you need to calm down. You can't just walk up to her like that," I told him.

"Fuck you, let me go talk to her."

"Look, dude, you're just disturbing her,"

"The fuck you know. "

"I know you are a drug dealer that ran away from his problems."

"Hey fuck you"

"You keep saying that."

"Whatever,"

"Look. I'll help you."

"Help?"

"What if I help you get with Rebbecca again?"

"Lies, you want her, I saw her holding your hand."

"I was comforting her, something you should have done, now are you going to let me help you or what?"

"Fine."

~~~~~~~