A Campain Of Awe

Evelyn dear, they are here for us

I knocked but there was no answer, after a minute, I knocked again. Still no answer. Was Dan still mad at me? Is he in there? Am I here for nothing? Fuck it. I opened the door, to my surprise it was unlocked. I walked up the stairs and into Dan's room.

"Get the fuck out, John," Dan said in a calm voice, drinking from his flask, he was still in his clothes from the night.

"I'm sorry."

"I said get out."

"Please, I won't do it again I promise, from now on I'll tell you everything, me and you, no more secrets."

"No, fuck off," Dan got up now, "and you know what too, stay the fuck away from my friends John."

My heart broke, I didn't understand why he was behaving this way.

"What do you mean?

"I mean what I said."

"Tell me why," I yelled, I needed to know.

"You're falling into our curse,  I don't know if you noticed but we tend to get into some fucked up situation when you left with Chris and that car was shooting at you, I realized you're not safe with us, with me, it's better this way, now fuck off will you," Dan's voiced cracked at the end, he didn't want me to go.

"No Dan, you don't understand, it's my curse, not yours," I told him, and he was confused now.

"What do you mean?"  Dan asked.

"Bandon is my brother," I blurted and Dan's eyes opened wide, he scrambled up from his bed.

"Bandon's brother? Bandon doesn't have a brother," Dan told me and I sighed.

"Come with me, please," I told him, walking out his room.

~~~~

"This is Bandon's street," His motorcycle stopped in front of my house.

We walked to the front door and through the door. Already from there, he could see pictures of my family, including my brother and me.

"Oh my god," Dan fell to his knees, guilt written in every inch of his body. I lifted him back up and walked him to my brother's room, Dan seemed to recognize the junk everywhere.

"Bandon never mentioned you," Dan said as we sat on my brother's bed, the only place that was clean.

"Yeah I told him not to, I didn't want to get back to well, all the shit that's been going on."

"But now you are, why?"

"I need to solve his murder, I know he's not missing, I know he is dead," I told him and Dan was so scared. I continued.

"I know you all were his best friends, and I know you all know what happened to him. So please Dan, Just tell me who killed my brother," I pleaded but Dan didn't budge.

"I can't, we all agreed not to talk about it," Dan was nervous.

"Is there someway you guys can agree to talk about it?" I asked and he shrugged.

"Maybe if we all agree with it, you have become our friend," Dan pointed out.

"I'll think of something," I told him, thinking of how I could get them to tell me.

We laid down on my brother's bed, it was small but could fit us both. I thought up of a plan, like perhaps kidnapping them all, tying them up and forcing them to tell me, but that seemed like too much.

"What did you mean when you said 'You didn't want to get back to, well all this shit.'" Dan asked and I stayed quiet for a second.

"As I said, it's my curse, not yours, my family has this weird energy about us that always seems to get us into trouble or adventures, and it seems you've gotten into it because of Bandon, I ignored that part of myself since I was kid, I never wanted to come back, but here I am, solving the case of my brother."

"Why did you stop it as a kid?"

"When I was in third grade people treated me like a criminal," Dan comforted me but then I remembered what I did, "BECAUSE I KILLED SOMEBODY." I laughed.

"What?"

"Yeah, killed my teacher with my friends, the teacher took away my 16 bottles of dishsoap I was suppose to pour in the school's fountain, after I killed the teacher I was the only one who got caught."

"No wonder you ignored that shit any kid would've been traumatized."

"That's not why I stopped, I stopped because I enjoyed it." I stared into Dan's eyes as they changed to fear.

"As soon as my brother's murder is solved, I'm going to ignore it again," I told him and turned in his arms, he held me tight but his heart was racing. I really wanted a normal life, with him.

"Hey Dan," I whispered.

"Yes John?" He questioned, looking at me.

"I love you," I told him.

"I love you too," Dan told me and I kissed him, he held my face softly as he extended the kiss, I felt him smile, ending it.

~~~~~