Chapter 12 : Childhood Fling ?

Shiza waited at the café at sharp 5 as promised. She sat there and wondered about the cause of the meeting. She asked herself this question again and as why the most powerful man in Allahabad wanted to meet her. She couldn't even think of any possible reason as to why he wanted to meet her. The only two encounters that she had with him were, according to her, not something that could become a big issue. Why did mamu take and amount with this much interest? what more is anni hiding from Shiza about this? Was building a grand house this important? Was it fair on their part to leave her with debt and not cause? Shiza had no information about the history of her family. She did not know or understand what could have caused this much trouble? How did their simple life turn into nightmare, just as she was lost in her thoughts, a voice brought her out , "So you are here?"

"Oh, A/w sir!", Shiza immediately stood up and greeted him.

"w/s child, I am glad you came", said Parvez

"Please have a seat sir!", said Shiza politely.

"Would you like to have something?", asked Parvez.

"No sir, thank you!", replied Shiza

"Well I will definitely have a coffee though", Said Parvez before called the waiter to order and then added, "You said you wanted to talk to me right?"

"Yes sir, Actually, I wanted to talk to you regarding a Debt", said Shiza

"You want money?", Asked Parvez bluntly

"No sir, not at all", exclaimed Shiza and then added, "Time, Just time"

"Time? and you will be able to arrange for 70 crore if you get time?", enquired Parvez.

Shiza was silent. Two things, one that he was aware about the debt and second that, it was a question she was avoiding even in her head. The burden of really hit her, Parvez had politely given her a reality check. She was Poor. She will never be able to even return an ant quarter of that amount. She now started to think about what she actually can do. They had nothing, she wondered. Shiza looked on with light vanishing from her radiant eyes, as she now faced the reality. Shiza looked silently at Parvez for him to answer that question himself.

"Child!", gasped Parvez as he rested his back on the chair and continued, "I know, this may sound harsh, but you know an amount this big? Isn't it a little difficult for you?"

Shiza's eyes went teary, difficult was a word used when a modest person wants to say impossible, "I know sir, but I don't know what to do?"

"On that note, I have an offer to make. An offer that if you agree to will not give you time, but you will be able to pay your debt legally!!", said Parvez with a little guilt, but hope. To this claim of Parvez, Shiza raised both her eyebrows in astonishment and utter shock, "How??", inquired Shiza.

On the other hand, Zahid and Ashar had come to Rauf Elbaz. They visited with a marriage proposal for Shiza. Ashar looked like the face of the happiest man on earth along with another man who had an even broader smile. Ashar was unable to contain his happiness and it was evident that it was over flowing. He would jump on the couch, fly like a bird, swim with the fishes and dance with the peacocks if he could. Zahid had already presented his proposal and the happiness quotient of the room was the highest at that point of time. Anjum had already began her preparations for the dinner and was happy and singing songs in the kitchen.

"Ya Allah, Thankyou for this. Zahid! I am so happy. Ashar is the best Guy I know. He is a true jewel", said Rauf, overwhelmed with happiness.

"Ammo! You sing ?", Asked Zareen in astonishment

Zareen came and sat beside Ashar, "I am so happy for both you Ashar"

"Zareen, I am worried. What if she says no!", said Ashar.

"She won't you just wait and watch", said Zareen

It was already 6:30 and Shiza was still not home.

"Where is Shiza? She is never this late!", said Zahid

"Ashar call her please", instructed Rauf

"Yes Mamu", said Ashar while taking out his phone from the pocket.

"Shiza! My god Where were you?", said Zareen as Shiza entered the house.

"Nothing! Just a little caught up! Sorry to be late", said Shiza in a dull tone

"Everything okay?", asked Zareen in a whisper to which Shiza smiled and nodded.

"Forget all that, first you have this sweet!", Said Anjum.

She dragged Shiza to sit beside Ashar and fed her a sweet.

"Congratulations Shiza", uttered Zareen, with the hug that suffocated Shiza at that point.

"For what Zaru?", asked Shiza

"Shiza, Zahid Sahab has asked for your hand in marriage for..", replied Rauf as he paused and glanced at Ashar meanwhile Shiza had blank looks while Rauf added, "Ashar!" announced Rauf happily.

Everyone in the room was overjoyed and happy, indeed, Shiza and Ashar made a lovely couple. Ashar was a noble man and everyone in the neighbour adored him. They talked only good about him. The women next door wanted him to be their Son-in-law, he was that considered that efficient. His marriage would surely have many heartbreaks, not only for girls, but Women and men, who wanted their daughters to get married to him.

"Shiza is so lucky that Ashar would be her husband. I am so happy", said Shabnam

But Shiza was quiet, she did not smile or enjoy that moment. She was just sitting ideal lost in thoughts. "Shiza?", called Anjum, but Shiza was lost. Anjum then shook her a little, "Shiza? Where are you lost?"

Shiza just looked up at Anjum in confusion. Seeing her lost, Rauf came near her, "Shiza? What happened? You look worried. Is everything alright?" Shiza looked around at all the happy faces in the room. She then gave a quick side glanced and saw Ashar already looking at her in worry. Her eyes met his eyes. Ashar saw that the light that Shiza had while looking at him was there no more and her eyes appeared sad. That was one of the qualities of her eyes. They never lied.

"Shiza, now even I am worried. What is wrong? Why aren't you saying anything?", asked Ashar.

Shiza took her eyes off Ashar with a jerk. It seems that she knew the truth of her eyes that no matter how much she tried, her eyes always speak the truth. She looked down and was silent for a few moments and then she finally spoke, "I need time to decide, Can I?" she uttered in a soft and slow voice.

Everyone present in the room were a little taken aback by this question. Ashar, for a moment, was faded, but then quickly coming back to here and now, and answered, "Sure, take as much time as you want. All my time belongs to you Shiza".

"Thankyou", replied Shiza. She did not even look at Ashar. She just got up from there and went upstairs to her room.

"Why are you guys so worried?", said Zareen breaking the silence, She just asked for time. "It's Marriage, no joke. Its a relationship for life. Shiza just needs to digest and think. She will be okay. She is just shocked because everything has happened so suddenly".

However, Ashar did not buy this clarification. Had it been shock then her eyes would have told, but they told something different. After that, no one discussed anything further. They all were satisfied with Zareens clarification. Zareen tried talking to Shiza after Ashar and his father left, but Shiza did not talk. Zareen was aware of her meeting with Parvez and had a hint that Shiza must be behaving weird because of it. That night Shiza did not talk to anyone, she did not even come down for dinner. She had locked herself in her room.

"Bhaijaan, I am worried for her!", said Anjum.

"Even I am worried Anjum, Shiza has never behaved this way before", said Rauf

"That is because she has never married before", exclaimed Shabnam. To this reply both of them glanced at Shabnam in confusion.

"This is normal, for every girl who goes through this phase. Marriage is a big decision and a strong promise to keep. And in Islam, Divorce is a sin so one has to take this decision carefully, so that need of this sin doesn't arise. And we all know Shiza very well. She knows everything and now she has to make up her mind", she paused, "She has to marry Ashar, not we. It is her decision, let her deal with it Rauf. Let her grow up now".