chapter 37

Demi's POV

I finished talking and told Zack he could come in, we traded number and he said he would visit as often as he could. he stayed for an hour, during that hour Max turned up and kinda had a go at me but I ignored him, all of my attention was on gemma, she's all I care about. I never once let go of her hand.

it was getting late and I was getting tired, I pulled my chair closer to the bed and rested my head on my arm that was holding Gemma's hand. my eyes fluttered close and I drifted off to sleep.

it was raining, lots of familiar faces walking around dressed in black. umbrellas surrounded me. there were people crying everywhere too. why are they crying, I looked down at myself, I was also in black attire. Max was stood beside me holding and umbrella over my head.

all of a sudden everyone started to huddle around something. what are they looking at? I gently pushed my way through the crowd until I was stopped by someone, Zack. he looked at me and said,

Z - I'm sorry for your loss.

loss? what loss? what's going on here? I got to the front of everyone and almost fell through a huge hole dug into the ground. someone pulled me back and I thanked them, above the hole was a head stone. it read.

RIP Gemma McGrath

1991-2013

loving, inspirational and caring

she will always be in our hearts

I balled out in tears and screamed, I felt people crowd me, I took a step back and fell through dark hole screaming all the way down.

I shot up out of my seat. tears were streaming down my face. I looked up to see Max asking if I was okay, I looked in front of me and saw gemma lying in the hospital bed. it was just a nightmare. that's all. I told Max I was fine it was just a bad dream. he nodded and sat back down. I realised Alan was now here. he looked quite upset too, he had a special bond with gemma, they were like brother and sister.

I grasped onto Gemma's hand and felt a few tears fall down my face. I can't believe she here, I feel my heart breaking more by the second.

* 4 days later *

I've barely left Gemma's side I barley let go of her hand. every night before I fall asleep holding her hand I kiss her for head goodnight. her family have called to check up on her, Katie's in pretty bad shape. I feel so bad for her.

for the first time all day I let go of Gemma's hand to go to the toilet. I kissed her hand and walked out towards the toilet. I must have been in there for five minutes at least and when I walked out there was a bit of commotion in the halls. I walked towards Gemma's room and noticed the commotion is coming from her room. I instantly ran towards the door only to get pulled away by Max and Alan. I screamed at them to let me go but they wouldn't.

A - demi let them do their job if you go in there it could possibly make things worse! Alan yelled over my yelling.

I calmed down a bit on the outside but on the inside I was hyperventilating. after 10 minutes the doctor and nurses cleared out and Gemma's doctor came up to me.

D - is she okay what happened?!

Dr - don't worry its good news, she's breathing on her own now, she's making good progress. there was just a few of us to hold her down so we could get the tube out without killing her.

I jumped into the doctors arms repeatedly saying thank you. I rushed into the room and saw her looking a hell of a lot better than she did 20 minutes ago. the tube was gone so it just looked like she was sleeping, her bruising had gone down because I often put ice on her bruises to help. I walked back over and kissed her cheek. it saddened me when she didn't react like usual, but how could she.

I put my hand on her cheek and stroked it slightly with my thumb. I leaned down and put my forehead on hers. I sighed and whispered,

D - I love you,

I wasn't expecting her to say it back, I said it so if she could hear me right now, she knows that I do.

I carefully cuddled up to her and closed my eyes. this moment would be kinda perfect if gemma wasn't in a life threatening situation.