Chapter 1: " Images "

I could feel my nerves swelling inside of me. The auditorium was quiet and I walked to the piano with the sound of my shoes breaking the silence. I sat down on the piano bench, resting my hands on the keys. ' You can do this Monika.. ' I thought to myself, taking a deep breath. I soon began playing the song smoothly and in a cool tone. I was doing fine.

...

...

BANG!

      My hands slammed on the wrong keys as I felt my nerves get to me. I began to sweat and breath heavily as I sat there frozen in time. Suddenly I remembered her. The girl who saved me those few months ago. I never got her name, but thinking of her calmed me down. I inhaled, her image fresh in my mind, and began playing those swift few notes with more looseness and ease. As I hit the final note, I got up, turned to the judges, and bowed. I quietly walked off stage, feeling more eased.

  " Monika. " A rough voice sounded down the hall followed by the taps of large shoes. It was her father. " Your performance was taken very well...But you failed for the perfect score. " The final phrase came out as more of a low hiss which made me lower my head.

   " I am sorry, Father. " I said shyly, keeping my eyes on the pearl-white floor. " It won't happen again. " I winced as he slammed his hand down onto a table.

     " That's what you told me last time Monika! You need to stop being a dam failure and prove to me your mother didn't die to leave your pathetic life in MY hands! " He growled. I didn't know how to respond. He never spoke of mother after the incident when she died. It was tragic, but not worth pondering on. If I ignore father for too long, I will end up in a bad situation. I suddenly felt a rough slap on my face making me stumble back. 

      " That is what you get for failing me once again! I best hope you appreciate my kindness by only slapping you. " My father spoke in an aggravated tone and walked off to smoke by the car. I rubbed my cheek which was stinging and red, making my way to the car. 

After the drive home...

       I could feel the tension as I entered the house. I made him angry enough that if I stayed out in his view any longer, he is going to smash a bottle over my head. It took my no longer than a second to rush myself to my room and close the door. I could feel my heart rate pumping wildly, so I let her image flood into my head. Her thin purple hair, her kind face, and her gentle touch. From all that I saw, she even walked with slight grace. It may all be in my head, but I can't help but admire her.

        I rubbed my shoulders as I sat on my bed. Of course I knew she would probably never see me again, and even if she did meet me-she would never want to speak to me. I am not very popular, so I have none to talk to. Instead, I enjoy writing poetry an journals since they help me express myself. I grabbed my pen and a piece of paper, staring at it for a moment, then beginning to write.

                                                                        Keys

                    The sounds echo through the empty rooms.

                          The wails of whom have been sealed within their tombs.

                  I sit and ponder where as ' wrong ' or ' right '.

                         The time it takes, the wrongful night.

                The keys, the keys, the ring with glee.

                    The keys, the keys, withing the empty.

           But the keys can not fill the quiet alone.

                 It is the player of whom sets the tone.

      I felt satisfaction as I placed the piece of paper inside my poetry box. I could feel my eyes growing heavy, and I checked the time. 9 PM precisely. I put the poetry box under my bed and laid down, staring at my ceiling. Her image pops in my head once again, making me grow restless suddenly. I turned to my side and shut my eyes. I see her there on that night. I can remember it as if it was just yesterday. I can almost feel her.

       And with that I felt my world turn to darkness and I was swallowed by dreams the numbed my senses.