Chapter 5: " Poetry, Hm? "

( Yuri's POV )

I found it quite simple just to pull her over to play a decent song on the piano, but I did not recognize the song. It did not sound like the work of most players of the piano, so I decided to do some research of my own on Monika. I sat at my computer and began typing in Monika's name. I was surprised when a document popped up as a link in my feed. She seems as an average girl, what can be so special about her. What is she exactly..hiding?

I skimmed over the document, noticing how Monika was sent into multiple piano competitions. Most of pieces she plays are ones she composed and wrote herself. Color me impressed. I didn't expect her to be so-high tier. I kept reading, and noticed how in every picture, she seemed to have an excited expression. I have learned that the eyes are a window to how someone truly feels, and I noticed how Monika's eyes seemed to be more afraid and solemn. It's out of her usual character. But that doesn't concern me. What matters is her technique on the piano. If I am going to play my cards right, I need to use Monika's skill, so I shouldn't bother about how she could feel.

At the end of the document there was a picture of a note Monika had written. I decided to read it just in case it had important information I can use later.

Windows

In silence I rest.

Bottles surrounding me, broken and shattered.

I set my hands on the window and feel the warmth outside.

Just out of my reach, out of my sight.

All I want is to see that sweet light.

Short and sweet. It's a poem. I saved the image of the poem and printed it out to try and analyze it more. I just feel like it's important to have this poem, possibly it could link to a song, or notes on the piano. That must be why I want to analyze it, but I feel some concern. I brush the thoughts aside. I do not care about Monika, and I never will. She is only a pawn I must play to make my move, my step. She will not become an obstacle.

I shut my computer off and decided to go for a short walk. Fresh air to clear my mind of all the plans and techniques. I left the house and made my way down to the park, but I saw a familiar figure accompanied by someone shorter, but more enthusiastic. Monika, what is she doing at the park? I quietly kept a few paces back, but just close enough to hear their conversation.

" So, you're telling me that you never wanted to play the piano? " The small, hyper girl asked Monika. I stayed quiet.

" Not exactly. My father wanted me to prove myself to be something more-..." Monika paused. " Useful. After my mother died, he began to hate me more and more. Possibly because I looked like her. So, he made me do something productive. " Monika looked away and stared into the vast greenery that surrounded the walls of the park.

" Why don't you just do something else? " The small girl asked. Monika rubbed her bangs out of her face, she seemed exhausted. I am missing some crucial information.

" Sayori, it's not that easy. I have now found some sort of use of piano playing. So, I guess I will keep it up. " Monika said quietly, her emerald eyes seemed to flash for a moment, as if in thought. It almost intrigued me how she tried to keep things positive. She's in a predicament, yet she is..positive.

" Good thing you always have your poetry, though! " The small girl, who seemed to be named Sayori, stated as she boldly threw her hand son her hips and gave Monika a grin. Monika, halfheartedly, smiled back. A small booklet dropped from Monika's bag as they continued walking. She seemed to not have noticed. Maybe if I take it and give it a look, it could have information. Possibly her songs. I quietly walked up to it, picked it up, and turned around, heading for somewhere else to read it.

As I walked, I couldn't help but feel a small pang of guilt. Monika seems to have family issues, but it doesn't seem to severe. I must not feel guilty, its rise or fall! I wont give up from all the work I have made now. The progress. Monika is just another opponent. I continued walking and found a small bench by a pond. I sat down and opened the notebook.

I felt like I had been hit my a truck. This was not a song notebook. It was poetry, and imagery. Monika had drawings of various things, most of them seemed dark, depressive. The poetry was the same. I flipped through the pages, skimming the poems and images, until I opened to the last page. It was unfinished, but she did have a sketch at the bottom of the page. It was a sketch of her at the piano, and what seemed to look like me as well. I slammed the notebook shut.

She is delusional. I threw the notebook into my bag and walked up the street. I have the upper hand, Monika believes I am her friend. Of course, that's not the case at all. It doesn't bother me one bit-....No, it doesn't. I continued down the path and passed the park. They're still there, talking. I stared at them for a moment, I had no idea why, but I just, stared. I shook my head and continued down the path. A black car drove past and to the park, at an extremely high rate of speed. A large man exited the vehicle.

" MONIKA! " The male hissed.