Chapter 6: " Better Start Building Some Walls "

(Monika's POV )

      I quickly turned around to the sound of my name. I suddenly regret my decision. I saw my father walking over to me in large strides, I grabbed Sayori by the shoulders.

      " Sayori, leave.. " I said quietly to her. Sayori shook her head and refused to move. I inhaled and shoved her. " LEAVE SAYORI! " I noticed how startled she was, but Sayori ran off, that was my bit of relief before I felt my dads hand on my neck. He didn't grip too hard, but he gripped just enough for my air to be cut in half.

     " You think you're so quick. " My father hissed in my ear, grabbing my neck tighter. I began to wheeze and throw my hands on his, trying to break my neck out of his grip. " You care to EXPLAIN?! " I started coughing as my father forcefully shoved a poem in front of my face. I felt my head begin to pound, reading the poem was almost impossible.

       " After all I have done for you! " His grip got tighter, and my vision began to fade and return. " You treat me like SHIT! " I began to foam at the mouth slightly, I tried to tell him to let me go, but he refused. My father threw the poem onto the ground and threw me down along-side it. 

       " You truly make me sick! " My father hissed as he spit in my face. " Don't come back home! Don't even bother showing up at my doorstep! Find somewhere else to be! " And with that he stomped off, leaving me on the park walkway. None else was around, Sayori had already bolted off, so I sat up and rubbed my neck.

        " Ergh...I guess I can stay at the school. " I murmured, grabbing the poem and looking over it. I sighed, realizing it was a poem about my father and my wish to see my mother. He must have taken quite an insult from that. I looked ahead of me and struggled to my feet, groaning in slight pain. I began to walk down the walkway to the exit, but I heard footsteps behind me. Don't turn around, act like nothing happened. Just get to the school. I began to quicken my pace, so did whoever was behind me. The hell-? I was about to sprint but someone grabbed my arm.

      " Hey-! " Yuri said quickly to me, a stern expression. I nearly froze in place, not daring to look at her. She can't see me like this! " You can't act like I didn't see any of that. I saw all of it, Monika. " I whimpered and used my free hand to cover my mouth as I began to cry. I felt Yuri tug me into a hug.

     " The world is a cruel place Monika.. " Yuri said, her voice quivered as if she was going to cry. " It's gonna hurt when you fall...so you better start building some walls. " I stood there in her embrace, confused. I opened my mouth to speak, but Yuri let go, her face riddled with tears.

    " Some people can be cruel. They want to take things from you. " Yuri inhaled through her teeth, breaking our eye contact. " Be careful. " And with that Yuri began walking away. I stood there baffled at what just happened. I didn't have long to think because in the distance I heard blaring sirens. Did Sayori call the police?

     " MONIKA!!!! " Sayori ran at me and began to cry when she saw my bruise on my neck. " I didn't w-want to lea-ave you alone! B-but you p-protected me and I am so SORRY! " Sayori whimpered and curried her face into my chest, sobbing. I wrapped my arms around her in a reassuring hug.

      " Shh..shhh.. It's alright. I'm fine. Nothing serious happened- " I said, petting her head as she sobbed. An officer walked over and began to analyze my neck.

      " What did your father do, exactly? " The officer asked. I began to explain to the officer exactly what happened and what situation I am in. The officer wrote it down quickly and explained that my situation seems to be quite abusive. I knew that, but I chose to ignore it for so long. I guess it's for the best though. The officer walked off, Sayori stood there, even more baffled then I was.

     " Your dad did all of that to you?! " Sayori whimpered, holding onto my hand tightly. " I should have helped you! " I pat Sayori's head and looked at the bright red and blue lights. 

     " You're fine, Sayori! You helped me by getting the police. " I said with a slight sense of proud in my voice.  Sayori never lets me down! I gave Sayori a pat on the back. " Once this is all said and done, how about some ice cream? " I grinned.

      " YES! I thought you would NEVER ask! " Sayori yelped with joy as we walked out of the park and to her house. Sayori kept telling me about all these wonderful dreams she has been having and how hopeful she is for the future. I am proud of her, she's moving so far in life. Her depression lessens every day. I couldn't help but smile at her.

   " You know Sayori, you really are the type of person that keeps the world going round. " I chuckled, but Sayori took it to heart, her eyes swelling with tears of joy. I pat her head, kneeling down to her level. " I am planning on starting a club. A literature club. Want to be my vice president? " I said, giving her a look.

   " Really? Me as vice president?! Yes! " Sayori squealed and jumped onto me, giving me a hug. I pat her back as I felt her grip tighten around me. " That's amazing! " Sayori giggled. I coughed a bit, making her let me go.

   " Come on, lets get to your house. It's getting late. " I stated, pointing at the time on my phone. Sayori picked up her pace, leading me to her house. Once we got inside, Sayori gestured to the couch. I gladly curled up on the couch and fell asleep. The only thought on my mind was what Yuri had told me.

           " It's gonna hurt when you fall...so you better start building some walls. "