Chapter 2: " Doki-Doki "

I shuddered as I woke up in a cold sweat. I always have a reacquiring nightmare that involve me being stuck in a damp cave with no air and no exit. I have no exact fear of darkness, or caves for that matter, but it's the fact of being isolated that scares me. Being alone is my greatest weakness, but can be a powerful tool. Who knows anymore. I stretched as I got up from my bed, the sun hitting me in the face.  I knew if I had lost all hope, I could always count on my close childhood friend, Sayori. She has always been there for me even when I am down in the dumps. I heard a rock getting throw at my window. I opened the window and peered outside, groaning in tiredness.

          " Monika! We're going to be late if you sleep in! " Sayori yelled from the shrubbery. I rubbed my eyes and waved my hands dismissively. 

           " No, no. It's fine! I'm almost ready- " I said quickly, turning and getting myself dressed quickly. I could hear Sayori yelling at me from outside as I ran down the stairs. I snatched an orange as a quick and healthy breakfast before I bolted outside beside Sayori.

         " An orange? What are you, a health freak? " Sayori said with a smirk, eyeing the orange as I took a slice and ate it. To shut her up I popped her mouth open and put a piece in her mouth.      " Mmph! Thanks! " Sayori giggled. I will never understand how she is so happy-go-lucky all of the time, and I almost wish I had her attitude. Sayori and I walked down to the school quietly, and I noticed a large crowd surrounded by the schools side. Mostly jockeys and preppy girls, but I saw something familiar. I quickly grabbed Sayori's shoulder and rushed us inside just in case.

          " Oi! Careful there Monika! If you keep rushing yourself every morning you're going to have a heart attack. " Sayori smiled at me and waved. " See you after first period! " And with that Sayori was off down the school hallways. I turned and went in the direction to my first period. None really took this route so it was basically empty. My shoes made an echo down the hallway every step making me shudder every time. As I looked at my oncoming classroom, I hit someone with my body, knocking me over.

         " Agh-! " I yelped as I hit the ground. I quickly sat up and rubbed my head, staring at the floor and gathering my books. " Apologies-!" I quickly said out of breath, but a hand reached down in front of my face to help me up. I looked up to see whom the hands owner was and felt my heart stop. Her! It's really...her! I sat there for a moment in awe before realizing I need to do something quickly. I took her hand as she helped me up with a light smile.

          " Must have not been paying much attention have you? " The purple haired girl said to me. I never got her name, but I was too afraid to tell her I knew her without a name. Instead, I acted like we had just met for the time being.

            " N-no..I am quite a klutz sometimes. " I said sheepishly, rubbing my arm. The girl smiled even wider, giggling.

       " I recognize you, actually! " She said, her face straightening. " You were the one in the street those few months ago. " I looked down quickly, feeling my breaths quicken. I didn't like how her tone changed so quickly, but I shouldn't be so paranoid about it.

         " Oh-yes! I was hoping I would find you again some day to repay you..! You saved my life... " I said quickly, looking at her with pleading eyes. " Please, what do I owe you? " The girl quickly put her hands before her and made a gesture to calm me down.

      " All I did was call the police. I didn't do anything special-" She said, but I shook my head.

   " So may people ignored me out there, but you...you saved me! " I sounded exasperated by this point. The bell that signals for students to head to first period rang and the girl began to walk away. " W-wait! What's your name! " I called out. She turned to look at me.

     " Yuri. Pleasure to meet you! " Yuri smiled at me and walked into the crowd. I put my hand over my heart and breathed heavily. Hopefully we can stay in touch, she really seems nice. I looked at the time. I need to get to first period!