16: Rabbit Hole

Hunter

The gavel slammed onto the table to start Church and from the looks on both Princess and Briac, a lot was going to be said. Briac was completely silent and Clary was scrolling through her laptop; both ready to speak.

Prez just looked pissed.

My mind drifted to Birdy, her in my bed was burned into my memory, her smelling like the soap I use and the feel of her under me as I teased her. I had felt her legs tighten below me, telling me that I had affected her as must as she affect me. She was something else, posh society but she has handled the past 24 hours well, fuck the past week better than some who are from my world. Not sure how she's been settling her mind for her to move on to what she needs to do instead of focusing on what she could have done. I know that if one of my brothers had been killed like that there would be no way for me to think straight or act straight. I would be so out of control no one would be able to bringing me back.

Birdy was able to give me peace whenever I was with her, allowed me to focus on the here and now. Usually that was found under a car or beside a bike while working on it or fighting against someone in the pit. Though I guess I'll be working on her Impala, really working on her car? Fuck, I'm working on it because it's a classic and it would be a crime to leave it idle.

Briac sat forward when Prez looked to him to start. "For those who don't know, when Hunter dropped Birdy off at her place, a body was discovered in her bathroom. White female hung upside down, throat slit and words carved into her. Hunter told me the Birdy had met her earlier this week and that her sister was killed the same way." I don't know why but I felt guilty when Briac said that, I texted Briac about what she said after finding the body but for some reason I felt like I was betraying her trust. "Now, I think it is safe to say that she's got herself as target and that could mean that whoever did that now knows we are involved seeing as how she is now with us. Begs the question who the fuck thought they could murder on our territory but also if Serenity is hiding something from us."

"She's not hiding anything," I growled. "Her sister was killed. Birdy came to find out what happened to her and to stop it from happening to anyone else."

"You saying that because you know it or saying that because a part of your body is telling you to." Briac said expressionless, not appreciating my outbreak.

"Saying it because I know it. She told me her sister called her before she moved out here saying she was in trouble, that Birdy shouldn't come and then she lost contact. Birdy came anyway to find her and ended up finding her body, which she had to relive last night with the girl. Her sister was working as a stripper and part time escort before her murder, so it was the sister not Birdy. She may seem suspicious to you with the timing of her appearance, showing up when things hit the floor but she can help. You were the one asking her to help with the escort business." I replied trying to control the anger I was feeling towards what Briac was insinuating.

"That's for me to keep an eye on her not to actually help the club. She has some role in this besides asking questions. She's gotten on someone's radar and her sister death, she's too involved with this Remious issue. And you know it." Briac's voice was now sharp, demanding that I stand down.

Reaching into my pocket I take my knife out, running it through my fingers to calm myself as I leaned my head back.

"Enough." Prez voice cut out. "Speaking of her, where is she?"

"Told her to either stay in my room or stay in the bar. She knows not to wander off and she won't." I said keeping my gaze on the ceiling focusing on the blade.

"It's fine, that Prospect she pepper sprayed has been told to be on her if she left the room. And do not look at me like that Hunter, look I'm glad you may get attached to a woman but she's new and a file from Princess isn't enough to say she's completely trustworthy." Briac said when I glared at him.