INK3-28

Epilogue Twenty-Eight: Pitch Black (Part One)

イタズラ-なキズ- Epilogue

I went to town just to reach out to Doctor Mchowarts. I didn't bring Kotoko with me. She'll just nag me to shop all day. And speaking of that, I promised her to bring some souvenirs for everyone in Tokyo. It's a pain in the ass, I don't how to shop... I don't even know what to buy. But... I'm grateful that mom didn't try to follow us here. I really don't want her to interfere.

"Moshi moshi... who's this speaking?" the other line said.

"This is Irie Naoki speaking. Is this you, Dr. Mchowarts?"

And the line went clear, "Oh. Dr. Irie! It's been three days since we last heard from you. How's Kotoko? Did you two go for a vacation at your grandfather's countryside?"

"Yes. Since the day of the operation is in the last week of this month, I'd like to gather her determination and courage... and that's why I brought her here. And also, my relatives want to meet her. I'm sure she'll be fine here. She just needs a break. Since Kotoko was locked up in our room for the months that I have been working hard in the hospital, she seemed weak and acted to be very negative... which is not like her usual self. I'm kinda worried if she's gonna go to the operation with a vibe like that."

"Did you tire her out?"

"Sort of." then I remembered how my relatives bullied her, "But I think she's fine now. I didn't expect that it will happen. Don't worry, I won't let her tire herself out. That might be the last time... but I got a thorough check-up on her this morning and I found out that her body is fine... but I'm still not quite sure of the status of her eyesight anymore and seemed like she got stimulated this morning... so I bet her disease never bothered her... unlike before."

"You made a good decision about your wife's condition, Dr. Irie." he added, "It's good that Kotoko will gather her determination and willpower to that maximum extent. Her case was very rare... this is not an ordinary eye disease... this is crucial."

"I know. She might not realize it but I am doing the best as I can. I won't let her lose her eyesight. Never. It's not gonna happen."

"Just to tell you that Kotoko's positivity and strength come from you... she can achieve her kind of success if it's you, Dr. Irie. She's amazing when it comes to you. So I hope you'll show her how you love her that much. It's not that I am judging you... or thought that you don't love her that much but... when I looked only on the outside, you are really cold to her. I hope you'll show her some of your warmth in ways that she can understand."

That's why I am trying to do that. I want to reach her in ways that she can understand... but her stupidity really misunderstands what I am trying to make her feel.

"I know. I am trying my best, Dr. Mchowarts. It may seem to look at me with this calm face but I am actually so nervous around her. I don't know how to trust myself with this... I know you all praise me for inventing the cure but... actually... I don't trust myself. I am not confident..."

"Okay. I got it." he said and paused for a while, "I trust you, Dr. Irie. I hope the operation will be successful. And by the way, Dr. Fujiona had found a patient who has the same diagnosis as Kotoko. Dr. Kato also made sure about the procedures that you have made but... we have to check it all again... as you said... it must be check a hundred times thoroughly."

"Thanks. I'll call when something happens. I hope the equipment from America will be delivered soon. This can't take long."

"They are already shipping it out. We will have to wait for two weeks just to make sure."