Chapter 11

ALEX

I tried talking him out of not cancelling out on her. I stood by, infuriated when Derek told me to go buy jewellery to use as compensation for flaking out on her. I was well aware tonight was a big night for her and he had the audacity to skip out on her.

The black card, tossed to the side I didn't bother to do as he said. He may do a lot of things to people, but hurting her I failed to allow that to pass through. Maybe if I had told her all about his unfaithfulness all this could have been avoided.

What had stopped me I realise was that I somehow felt I may not be what she's looking for. I hadn't been blind to the looks we received from people when we were together, some people don't like the fundamental idea of seeing colours mixing.

She felt the stares too, with my age playing a factor, we were cordial and I knew she just felt bad about my hand situation, still I slipped. That night replays in my head, her body close, her taste, seeking redemption at this point is too late.

I want to get her.

And save her from this.

I didn't want to get involved in the imperfections of her and Derek's relationship and given that I was just the assistant I had felt it wasn't my place and I didn't want to lose my job.

But she's worth facing pangs of daggers down my spine.

Standing up I gathered my items on my desk, carelessly stuffing them into my bag. I took Derek's invitation when I saw him throw it into the bin. Moving through the office, quick strides, I had one location in mind.

***

From the outside the hotel hosting the event, had guests ranging from wealthy businessmen to the rich and famous. Heart hammering, palms sweaty, feet numb whilst still feeling pins and needles as I moved through the entrance after having left the valet my car, I wasn't sure how to feel.

As I got closer towards where the ceremony was taking place, my breaths grew shallow as my adrenaline kept pumping. It was too late to turn back now. Adorned in a tux I kept only for special occasions, hair tamed and combed it felt odd being this dressed up.

Flashing Derek's invitation I entered taking in the bodies of rich and wealth mingling and the live band playing. Irises in hand, I kept my eyes roaming over the room, till I caught sight of her. And thus did I just die. Flawless make-up, she had straightened her hair, a groan nearly fell from my lips at the way her dress was hugging her curves showing off her derriere I've been dying to fondle and grope.

Setting in motion I made my way towards her, as she engaged in a conversation with a few people, the light in her eyes evident. She stopped mid-sentence when she saw me and excused herself before making her way towards me.

Her shock was apparent as she stood before me. "Alex, what are you doing here?" there was that smile of hers, I adore.

"Doing what I do best," staring at her straight in the eye I moved my arm around her waist pulling her in close whispering her ear, " saving you."

The sound of her breath hitching is music to my ears making me smirk.

Gazing down at her, I was convinced as her hooded eyes set on mine; I never want to let this woman go.

"This is your big night, you deserve as much support as you can get," I said placing the bunch of flowers into her hands.

She didn't say much else, but given the relaxed look she had encasing her features she didn't have to say anything.