Chapter Twenty-Eight- Gerard

Beep. Beep. Beep. 

At least my hearts working. But... Is it a good thing? The whole point of it was to die. To finally get away from this place. So why am I still here? I'm sure as hell not in heaven. Maybe this is hell? Maybe my hell is to stay here and be forced to keep living this... Disgusting life. 

"Gee?" I hear a soft voice crack just saying it. "Gee, it's Mikey. I'm here- and I know you can't hear me but-"

What do you mean? Of course, I can hear you!

"I just- I need you to wake up- I can't sleep, I can't eat, I can't do anything knowing you're here in this..." he takes a breath. I feel him squeeze my hand. The one with the wrist I didn't cut to pieces. "And the worst part of all this? I know that one wrong thing- and you could die. Why would you do this to yourself?" 

Because Frank told me-

"How could you try to leave me? Don't you understand? Without you, I would have been this bullied kid with no friends, this kid that didn't understand why people were so mean. You were there for me through all of that. And I couldn't even help you when you got a letter. I think about my life, and I wouldn't even be sitting here if you weren't part of it. I'm useless." 

This makes my heart shatter. Worse than the letter. I disappointed my brother- the one who was there, next to me throughout my whole life. I desperately want to reach to him, talk to him, just look at him. But I can't. Everything is numb to the point that I feel like I can't even breathe. 

"Great, now I look insane. Talking to someone who can't even talk back."

"Way?" An unfamiliar voice calls, walking into the room. "I- There's been a situation. Mr. Iero says that he won't testify until he gets the chance to speak to Gerard Way? I realize this might be difficult, but I wanted to give you a heads up. As soon as Mr. Way wakes up, we're going to call Mr. Iero. Is that alright with you?" The voice asks. 

"I-" Mikey starts. 

Yes, please. Let Frank talk to me! I plead- or at least, I try. 

"I think that's entirely up to Gee- Maybe you should ask him when he wakes up... Nurse... Kenla." 

"Alright, I'll tell him," her voice chirps, I can practically hear her walk away- maybe it's the heels. 

I feel Mikey squeeze my hand again. "If you heard that- you don't have to talk to Frank, just so you know," he says before he leaves.