20. Late

Five

"Kuya. Hihiramin ko na muna si Justine sa'yo." Paalam ni Nicko na tinanguan ko. Just in time, my phone rings so I take my time to answer it.

"What do you have for me?"

"Man, tell me. Are you falling for that girl?"

"Damn it Bernard—"

"Palmer, it's just a question of yes or no. But fine, I get it. You are already falling for her. Anyway," The moron doesn't give me the chance to interrupt him. "About the person you asked me to find. It turns out that your woman is telling the truth. Felix Hidalgo. He is Selena Manzano's attorney who acts as Serenity's guardian since the old woman passed away. They are in Australia. They migrated about a year ago."

Nasa sulok lang ako, pinapanood si Serene na kasama si Nicko habang kausap si Bernard sa phone. Mukhang seryoso ang pinag-uusapan nila.

"What are you planning, man?" Pukaw ni Bernard sa'kin.

"Nothing."

"Why did you ask me to trace these people? It ain't for nothing." He scoffs in sarcasm, making me frown. "Do you want to meet her family? Ano 'to? Papakasalan mo na?"

"Stop being nosy like a woman, Gerondio. Just do what I ask you to do. If you find the others I asked you to, call me immediately."

"Don't hang up yet. I have something important to say."

Napatayo ako ng maayos nang makita ko si Six na niyakap si Serenity. Uminit 'yong tenga ko.

"I have to go." I say and end the call immediately. As soon as I reach their table, I clear my throat to get her attention. Serenity looks at me, surprise written all over her face. She must have thought I won't be around.

"Kuya Five. Um, look. It's—"

"Nicko, I have to drive Serenity home." I cut her off mid-sentence.

"Ah. O—kay. Of course." After seeing my cousin exchanging look with Serenity, I quickly drag the latter out of the event hall.

"Mo, galit ka ba?" She asks which makes me more annoyed at her. Why can't she just shut up? "Five. Kung galit ka, kausapin mo 'ko. Ano na naman ba ang ginawa ko? Ba't hindi mo na naman ako kinakausap? Nagseselos ka ba? Uy... Mo? Kausapin mo 'ko. What did I do? We were fine earlier—"

"Serenity, can you just shut up for a minute?"

"I didn't do anything." She continues whining. Trying not to burst out, I give her a stern gaze. "Can we just go home?"

"You take the cab."

Even though it's against my will, I still head off. I only realize how stupid it was of me to just leave her there when I arrive in the condo. The place just feels empty and that wakes me up from the reality that for the past weeks, Serenity is the life of the place.

""Miss mo na ako kaagad, suplado?" She answers when I call her through the phone. Before I dial her number, I told myself to cool down but hearing her voice just made me again exasperated at her. Can she be serious for once? Tsk!

"I want you home in ten minutes."

"Asa ka pa. Hindi ako uuwi sa condo. Ayaw mo 'kong ihatid tapos papauwiin mo 'ko diyan? Bahala ka."

"Serenity! Don't piss me off."

"Yeah? See you in ten minutes, babe." I somehow feel relieved but then she adds, "In your dreams." And after that, she even hangs up!

I cannot deny how her action enraged me. Pero nangibabaw parin ang pag-aalala ko kaya nagmamadaling lumabas ako ng unit para balikan siya. While inside the elevator, I received a multimedia message from her. It is a selfie of her inside the taxi. Along with it is a message that says "On my way to you, baby."