39. Waiting

Five

It's mom and dad's 40th wedding anniversary so I am not in the office today. Mom did not stop nagging me; she even made me stay home last night. Most of the time kasi, sa condo ako umuuwi, sa unang condo unit ko where I had the chance to be with the woman I love.

I promised to mom that she'll have my full attention on this very day. What annoys me though is having my phone vibrating inside my pocket every now and then. I couldn't check it at the time being because it's picture-taking time and even if it isn't, I won't check it because as I've mentioned, I promised mom to set aside anything work-related for the day. As we all planned and agreed to, we celebrate this special occasion with tight exclusivity. Our visitors are just members of the family.

"To everyone who gave their time to spend with us this very special day of ours, thank you. Thank you for giving us the chance to share with you my own-kind of happy-ever-after story with Wyatt." Mom shares as asked just a few minutes after dinner. She travels her eyes around the place and later on, I find her wiping her eyes. "Ang dami ko ng apo." She tries to laugh but ends up sobbing instead. Somehow, I feel my eyes warming up but I am able to blink the tears back. "I am just so happy...so proud of the family that we've become. I can still vividly remember like as if it was just yesterday when I have all of my boys in my arms...when they were really young and full of innocence. And yet, here they are now, having their own families."

Napangiti ako sa sinabi ni mommy. A part of me aches at what she said... Because I am supposed to have my own family too. If things went as planned years ago... I sigh at the remembrance of the past. I shrug the idea off so I could pay attention to mom who's now staring at me.

"Let me take this opportunity to thank the men of my life. Wyatt, mahal, thank you for this home you built with me. And to my seven precious gems, as you build your own home, your own family, I want you to know that your father and I will always be here to guide you. Mga anak, be like your father, and be better than him if you can. Choose to continually love your wife every single day because staying in love is a choice. It's a decision you'll make everyday until lifetime. Always nurture in your hearts the kind of patience and understanding that's needed for you to grow together and for the better. Above all, make God the center of your homes. Teach your kids, my grandchildren, what is right. Be there for them each step of the way."

Mom pauses for a moment and so the house is filled with a peaceful silence that's disturbed sometimes by sniffing of the people who cry at mom's message. Mom looks at me with an emotion that I couldn't decipher at the moment.

"There is nothing else that I could wish for in my life because all my dreams have already come true and all my prayers have already been answered and that's all of you who are here with us now. To our attorney," Mom muses making me roll my eyes while everyone, especially my brothers, gives me meaningful and mocking grins. Tsk. "I am, we are, so proud of the man you've become, anak. It may have taken longer than the waiting that your brothers have undergone but honey,  I promise you, God has the best plan for your life just like what he has for each of us here. Keep waiting patiently, my Five Palmer."

Nginitian ko nalang si mommy sabay iling. Last year, she did this to me too. She always tells me to patiently wait but then, she's actually one of the many that's pressuring me to marry. Nagpalakpakan naman ang mga tita at tito namin, maging sina mama Deb at papa Claren, 'yong mga pinsan namin, at kasabay ng palakpakan nila ay ang ngiti at tawang nangangantiyaw. After mom's long message, tita Gia approaches me.

"So? Kailan namin makikilala ang magiging asawa mo?" Nakangising tanong ni tita Gia. She is dad's sister.

"Malapit na tita."

"Sisingilin kita sa birthday ng kuya Uno mo." Natawa ako sa sagot niya. Ang tagal pa kaya ng birthday ni Uno. Mas mauunang magbirthday si Dos kay kuya Uno. At saka, mukhang hindi na ako papayag na aabot pa ng ganon katagal bago ko mabawi si Serenity. One of these days, I am sure she'll be back. And when it happens, I will never ever let her or give her a single chance to leave me again. Never again. "But seriously anak, thirty-two is still young. You are a man. Men are like wine. The more they age, the more they get better."