Chapter 30 Its Beginning to Look A Lot...

"My Lady, what are you doing?" A very sleepy Loki asked, watching Halldora acting incredibly strange.

Halldora was, well, she was trying to put up as many strings of light in the apartment as possible without blowing a fuse

Halldora was, well, she was trying to put up as many strings of light in the apartment as possible without blowing a fuse. She'd gotten enough to decorate around the windows, and now she was working on a tiny stool to reach the apartment ceiling. The stool creaked, and rocked slightly as she stood on her toes to reach a ceiling hook.

Loki sobered up in an instant, lurching forward to catch her just as the stool gave out underneath her foot. Halldora smiled, one arm covered in unlit lights.

"Good morning," she smiled.

"If you're going to try killing yourself darling," Loki said, "I'm afraid I'll have to stop you."

"No Loki, I'm okay," Halldora said, "I'm just trying to put up some Christmas lights."

Loki frowned, "Whats that?" He asked.

"Christmas, you know?" Halldora said.

"I'm afraid Asgard doesn't have good Midgardian reception these days," Loki smiled, "is Christmas a festival I'm unaware of?"

"Oh," she realised, "its kind of a big deal in this realm. It's a day where you bring trees into your home, cook feasts, and exchange presents with each other."

Loki scrunched up his nose, "Sounds rather like an Asgardian wedding to me. Do we have to?" He asked.

"Yes!" Halldora said. "It's the best holiday, apart from Halloween of course. Oh Silvertongue, you have to help me decorate, you'll get in the spirit in minutes."

Loki thought for a moment. He was still holding her in his arms, he could easily force her back to bed with him. But that look, that excitement, well, it excited him.

Loki set Halldora down and took the lights off her arm. She struggled with him for a moment, wondering what he was doing.

"Lady Wordsmith, I cant let you get on that stool again," Loki said, "I will set the lights. Just tell me what you need." Then he smiled, and Halldora beamed back at him.

"Okay," Halldora said, "string the lights all over the ceiling, I'll get the tree

"Okay," Halldora said, "string the lights all over the ceiling, I'll get the tree."

"The tree?" Loki asked.

"Yes, the tree," Halldora smiled, "the most important decoration for any home at Christmas. Now be good, don't burn the house, and DONT turn the lights on before I get home, okay?" Halldora said.

"Yes my Queen," Loki said. Halldora grabbed her long coat and walked out of the apartment. She was meeting Torri at the tree market, and she could already see the look on Loki's face when she had finished decorating it.

Loki smiled to himself, reaching up to the ceiling and putting the lights up in rows. He stretched and shivered slightly, remembering it was winter and he was still in very thin pyjamas. He'd been fine in bed, with Halldora warning the bed beside him, but now the temperature was cold and he was starting to not feel his fingers. This always scared him, when he was too cold to feel things.

That's what troubled him, his Jotun form. He was naturally made for the ice, the cold. But he seemed more comfortable when he was in uncomfortable warmth. Whenever he felt cold he started to lose the sentimental feelings that the warmth gave him, and he felt like he was losing himself.

He rushed into the bedroom, grabbing a long, furry nightrobe, that he suspected was Halldoras, but it was warm and he didn't care. When he stepped back into the living room though he nearly jumped out of his skin. There was a woman in his living room, staring at him. And it wasn't Halldora.