Chapter 21

~Bella's POV~

I woke up on top of my bed in Steve's arms. I smiled, he looked so peaceful when he slept. I leaned over and kissed him.

"That's a nice way to wake up," he mumbled.

"Let's do something just us today," I suggested.

"I would love that. What did you have in mind?"

"Well, Seattle is maybe three to three and a half hours away. We could go spend the day up there."

"Perfect. Let's get ready shall we."

I went to my bathroom to shower, while Steve went to the guest bathroom. After showering, I went to my closet and decided on a pair of dark washed jeans, a grey t-shirt, a leather jacket, and a pair of black converses. For my hair, I left it down in my natural beach waves. Within forty minutes I was ready and so was Steve. We quickly ate breakfast here before we hit the road. We decided that I would drive to and Steve would drive home. I plugged in the address to the GPS and we were on our way.

~TIME SKIP~

Arriving in Seattle, we headed to a bookstore first. I grabbed a few young adult novels that I haven't read yet. I turned around and couldn't find Steve. I walked around and found him in the history section.

"You can grab a few if you want. I would recommend a US history book and a book on the technological advances," I told him.

"I might. What did you find?"

"Just a few books that I haven't read yet. They looked interesting."

After spending a few more minutes looking around, we went to checkout. I asked the cashier how they would organize their books. She said if I had a lot, genre first then author, but if I didn't have a lot then just author. I thanked her and made a note on my phone to do that when we went back to New York. Steve asked if we could go ahead and grab some lunch. I agreed because I knew how much he ate and I was a little hungry myself. We found the cutest mom and pop diner and ate there. I ordered a Pepsi, a BBQ, and a small order of fries. Steve ordered a lemonade, 6 hotdogs with everything, and three large orders of fries. The waitress looked shocked at how much Steve ordered, but I knew he would have ordered more. Steve and I just talked while we waited for our food to arrive. We talked about everything from what we were going to do today to what we were going to do once we are back in New York to different things about ourselves.

After we were done eating, we went window shopping around the block. I love small boutiques instead of the name brand stuff, don't get me wrong, some of the name brand stuff is great, but there is something about small boutiques that have a uniqueness to everything. We found Steve some button-up shirts, and some dress pants. For what, who knows. I found a few more dresses, some shorts, and a few t-shirts. As we were putting our newly purchased clothes in the car, I noticed a kid crossing the street and a car that was showing no signs of stopping. I ran over and shoved the child out of the way. The car hit me, instead of the child. The last thing I saw was Steve running towards me before I blacked out.

~Steve's POV~

I stood back up after putting the bags in the trunk of the car to see Bella running towards a small child. As soon as she pushed the kid out of the way, she was hit by an oncoming car. I ran towards her, yelling her name. I started freaking out. What if she was hurt really bad? What if she doesn't wake up? What if she is dead? The last two scared me the most. I just found her; I don't want to lose her so soon.

"Bella, can you hear me? I need you to wake up," I pleaded, tears streaking down my face.

"Someone call 911!" I shouted.

From my time at SHIELD and the army, I knew how to administer some first aid. I took my shirt off to try and stop some of the bleeding from her head. I lift her shirt up a little to see some deep bruising, broken ribs most likely. I checked her legs; one was broken and the other covered in cuts. Her arms were bad as well, one was broken and both were covered in cuts and bruises. Once the paramedics arrived, I gave them all the medical information that I knew about her and a quick overview of my assessment. I watched as she was put in the ambulance, heading towards the closest hospital. I sprinted back to our car and followed.

Revised 4/17/20