Chapter 25

~Bella's POV~

Today is the day. The day that I can finally go home. We decided that we would go straight to New York. The pack has been in a few times since I have been in the hospital. Sam said that they would all come to New York from time to time, and I told them that I would come to La Push from time to time as well.

All of our bags were packed, all that was left was me getting properly discharged. I was already in the wheelchair that I would have to be in for a few weeks. The team and I were all talking with each other when the doctor came in with my discharge papers. After signing them, Steve pushed me out of the room, while everyone else followed behind. When reaching the waiting room, I was shocked. The little boy I saved and his mother was standing there.

"What are you doing here?" I asked the mother.

"We wanted to thank you for saving my son. My name is Sara, and this is my son Matthew," Sara introduced.

"I'm Bella. You don't have to thank me. I'm just glad Matthew is okay," I explained.

"Miss Bella, I made this for you," Matthew handed me a drawing.

"Thank you, Matthew. I'll keep it forever. Can I ask you something?" I stated; he nodded his head.

"Who's your favorite Avenger?" I questioned.

"Captain America!" he smiled.

"Did you know that Captain America is the one pushing my wheelchair?" I whispered.

"He is?" Matthew whispered back while looking at Steve.

Steve smiled and started talking to the kid. I wheeled myself over to Sara.

"Is that actually Captain America?" she asked skeptically.

"Yeah, he is. Is Matthew actually okay?"

"He has had a few nightmares. I'm worried about him."

"Have you thought about therapy? You don't need to answer that; I know its none of my business."

"It's okay. I have thought about it, but I would need to look into it more."

With that Steve and Matthew walked over. Matthew immediately started telling his mom about meeting Steve. She thanked both of us and wished me a speedy recovery. We wished each other a goodbye, and Steve pushed me to the limo Uncle Tony had waiting.

"Why did you tell the kid I was Captain America?" Steve asked.

"I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable. He went through a traumatic experience, and I wanted him to be happy, even if it was only for a moment," I answered.

"You are so selfless, you know that?" Steve smiled.

"You love me though, so it can't be all that bad," I teased.

"I do love you," he kissed me.

"Get a room you two," Clint said.

We laughed and started another conversation. I reminded them that we were all going to reorganize and catalog the books in the library. There were a few groans and grumbles, mainly from Tony and Clint. I explained that I wanted it done to help Steve catch up and for my own enjoyment. I think they all forgot that I was a bookworm.

Revised 4/17/20