Chapter 8

I just finished talking to Sam, but Uncle Tony doesn't need to know that. I told him about the situation and asked him to look after Charlie until I get there. At first, Sam protested the idea that I come anywhere near Forks, but I wore him down. So now I am on a flight back to the wettest place on Earth with the Avengers tagging along. I tried to get them to stay behind but when they learned that vampires were involved, they were packed and ready to go in five minutes. I was jarred from my thoughts when Uncle Tony placed his hand on my shoulder and informed me that we have landed. When I walked out, I was pounced on by Jake.

"Jake...can't...breathe." I gasped.

"Right sorry," Jake said and let go.

I was soon passed around the pack for hugs. After introductions were made, we drove to my house and dropped off our bags. I informed Sam that I needed to talk to the council as soon as possible. I guess Steve heard me because he asked what and who the council was. I let Sam explain that and walked into the police station. At the front desk was Officer Johnson.

"Hey, Johnson. How are the kids?" I asked.

"They're good Bells. How are you? You've been with your uncle for a couple of days, and now you're here." He responded.

"Yeah. Something happened. Is my dad in?"

"What happened?"

"I need to tell Dad first, but it's bad."

"He's in his office. I hope you know if you need anything anyone here would be willing to help you out in any way they can."

"I know Johnson, I know."

With that, I walked over to Charlie's office and stopped in front of the door. How was he going to react? What am I going to say? Do I tell him the whole story? I took a deep breath and decided to just tell him that Renee and Phil are dead. I won't drag him into my vampire problems. I knocked on the door and went in when I heard him say 'Come in'.

"Hey Bells. I wasn't expecting you for a while. How's New York?" Charlie greeted.

"Something happened, and I couldn't tell you over the phone," I replied.

"What happened, Bells?" he inquired.

"Renee and Phil were murdered yesterday," I said quietly.

"Oh, God." Charlie breathed.

"I'm so sorry. It's all my fault."

"No. That's not your fault. Renee and Phil being killed will never be your fault."

"If I had stayed away, then they would still be alive."

"Stayed away from what?"

"Not what, who. If I had stayed away from the Cullen's none of this would have happened."

"How do they have anything to do with this?"

"They have everything to do with this." I guess I am telling him about vampires.

"Explain."

I then told him about what they were, and the entire story about the Phoenix incident. When I finished, Charlie was crying. He came over and hugged me tightly, he apologized for not being there for me when I went through all that pain. I told him that I would go through that pain a million times over if it would help my family. We just held each other for a while and cried. When Charlie pulled back, he asked how he could help. I smiled and told him part of my plan, I left out the part involving the wolves because that is not my secret to tell.

Revised 4/17/20