47: Dinner With The Dobrevas

Nina's POV:

I just got off the phone with Phoebe. I called her to convince her to go to the lake house with us. I actually called Paul earlier and to my surprise it was really easy to convince him. But Phoebe wasn't easy. It was a long discussion before I got to convince her. We talked over the phone for forty seven minutes. I was starting to lose hope when she kept on saying no to me but in the end she finally agreed.

Ian stole a kiss on my cheek from behind. I turned around with a smile on my face and saw him smiling too.

"So how's the plan?" Ian asked, still smiling.

"Looking great. I finally got Phoebe to agree." I told him with a smile. We're both in the dining room.

"For a moment I thought that the two of you were fighting." He said with a low laugh. Phoebe and I were talking earlier with raised voices but we're not actually fighting. I rolled my eyes.

"You have no idea how hard it was to convince her." I told Ian. He chuckled at my expression.

"Nina baby, you two were talking on the phone for almost an hour. Trust me, I know." He said jokingly. I chuckled.

"How sure are you that they'll both show up at the airport?" He asked me. His question got me thinking for a moment.

"Trust me, they'll come." I responded. I know Phoebe and Paul so much. If they promised something to me, they fulfil it. Ian just smirked at me.

"Babe, can you book our flight?" I asked him.

"Since I have to go out in a bit, I promised Jules we'll grab coffee later." I added. He nodded.

"Sure, I'll update you later." He said and then he leaned towards me and kissed me on the cheek.

---------------------------

Ian and I arrived at the airport a little early, Paul and Phoebe texted me that they're already on their way. That was such a relief. I have to admit that there's a small part of me that doubted if the both of them will show up. I glanced over at Ian and he seemed nervous. I placed my hand on top of his shoulder. He turned his head to meet my gaze.

"You okay?" I asked him, a bit worried. He nodded.

"Yeah" He responded.

"Is it about seeing my family?" I asked him.

"Especially my brother?" I added.

We have to stop by our house in Canada to borrow a car since the lake house is just two hours away. I never really got the chance to ask him about seeing my family again. I know he's nervous but I also am. I'm afraid of how my parents will react since we haven't really talked about my relationship with Ian.

"Yeah, it's just" He trailed off.

"I'm sorry" I told him sadly. I already understood what he was trying to say even though he didn't finish his sentence. He looked at me confusedly.

"Why are you sorry?" He asked befuddled.

"Because I know that you might not be ready yet to see them again." I explained to him. He just smiled at me softly.

"It's fine. It's just that it really bothers me what your family thinks of me especially now that I already know how Alex feels about me." He said in a sad voice. I leaned my forehead against his.

"It just makes me a little nervous." He added. I wish there was something I can do to make him feel better. But I know that there wasn't.

"Don't worry I'll be there to protect you." I said with humor. We both laughed.