VI

Avelyn pushed past the cheering villagers, looking around for Lucy, Ed and Caspian.

Eustace stayed close to her, not wanting to get dragged off again for another bidding.

"Aves!" Lucy exclaimed as she ran toward the older girl, engulfing her in a hug. Avelyn wrapped her arms around Lucy tightly, as if someone was going to pull her away.

"Where are the others?" Reep asked as he walked toward the girls.

"Wasn't Drinian going to go after the boys?" Avelyn tilted her head as she spoke. She looked around, looking to see if she could spot any of the boys in crowd but she couldn't.

She sighed with relied when she saw Drinian but that confused expression returned to her face when he walked toward her alone.

"I'm sorry your majesty" he gravely said as he approached "we were too late"

"What are you saying?" Avelyn took a step back, not wanting to hear that they'd failed to get to Caspian and Edmund in time.

"One of the slave traders informed us that the cells in which they were held were where they kept the sacrifices for some sort of mist" Drinian looked down "They sacrificed the last lot before we could arrive here at noon"

"No," Lucy softly mumbled "no we can't have lost them"

"We didn't"

They all turned to look at Benjamin.

"I know about that mist" he said as he walked toward them "I'd read about it. It roams around this realm, mostly haunting men at sea before it retreats back to its home, the lone islands"

"Lone islands?" Drinian questioned "but that's within the narnian dominion of King Caspian"

"The evil there doesn't know that" Benjamin ran his hand through his brown hair "it doesn't care. If they've been taken by that, then they're indefinitely held captive at the island"

"Well, let's go get them then" Avelyn instantly said as she linked arms with Lucy and began to walk away.

"Your majesty" Drinian mumbled softly as he walked alongside hus queen "are you sure? Do you really trust that lad?"

The girl looked over her shoulder to see Benjamin dust Eustace's shirt as he said something which made Eustace chuckle slightly, this was something that didn't happen often.

The girl smiled before looking at Drinian "yes, I trust him"

The crew along with the royals walked back to the ships, the town's people cheering along the way.

"Your majesty?" Benjamin turned toward Avelyn

"Yes?" Avelyn offered a smile.

The boy held out a sword covered with rubble and sand.

"Lord Bern gave this to me" he smiled at the girl "I don't think I'm worthy enough to wield it"

"And you think I am?" Avelyn asked as she raised a brow.

"I don't know anyone else who's more deserving" the boy shrugged with a smile "literally, you're the only one I know among the others"

Avelyn chuckled slightly before gently taking the sword from his hand.

"Where are we headed off to now?" Eustace asked.

"You wouldn't know even if we told you" Avelyn rolled her eyes.

Eustace scoffed.

Avelyn was clinging on to this last bit of hope. Sure, she was walking with her head held high, giving a smile to any of the crew men who greeted her because she couldn't show she was broken. If she acted sad and depressed, what would become of the crew? They would lose hope if they saw their queen drained of all emotions.

Avelyn knew that she'd failed partly this time. Failing a second time was not an option. Her friend's lives depended on it.

Sighing softly, the girl boarded the ship with a huge responsibility on her shoulders.