XXVI

Both brothers, Collin and Benjamin rowed the boat back to the island where the swords had been laid.

The entire time they were quiet, Edmund had carried Avelyn himself and cradled her in his arms in the boat.

He didn't look at her though, he could bare to.

The boy was still finding it hard to believe that all that was left of the girl he loved was her dead body that he was holding in his arms.

His own shirt was stained with blood at this point but he didn't care.

He didn't care anymore,

About anything.

When they arrived at the island, and made their way to the table, they were slightly surprised to see that instead of the thorny shrubs, there were flowers blooming in the bushes.

The trees had fruits and the table was now sparkling white marble.

The Lords who were previously under a spell were now in the far distance, looking at the trees and blue waters.

Lucy spotted Reep at the table, along with Caspian and Eustace, who was no longer a dragon.

The moment Caspian saw her he stood up hastily, Eustace following him with a grim expression.

"Lucy is everything ok-"

The girl threw her arms around him and cried into his shoulder. Caspian hugged her back, waiting a few seconds before he asked her the question he'd been dying to ask.

"Eustace just told me- i.." he strutted "Avelyn. Is she..?"

He trailed off as he pulled back from the hug to hear what Lucy had to say.

She didn't respond, she just turned around and waiting till Edmund and the rest were in sight.

Benjamin and Collin stood at a safe distance away from the table while Edmund carried Avelyn's body toward the others.

"No" Caspian said softly, not willing to believe it "no, she's not- she can't be gone"

Eustace bit his lip as tears streamed down his cheeks.

Everyone stood around Avelyn in utter silence.

No one knew what to say.

What are we going to tell Peter and Susan? Lucy thought as she stared at the ground.

Reep tapped Ed gently.

"I think I found a good spot" he muttered, referring to a place for a burial.

Everyone followed the mouse to the right side of Aslan's table, past a few oak trees all the way to a small clearing which was scattered with rose bushes.

Edmund didn't say a word.

He gently placed Avelyn down and began to look for a big stone they could use to dig with.

After about 2 hours of digging, it was finally time to say goodbye to Avelyn for the last time.

The six lords were also present by this time.

Edmund was surprised Collin had decided to help but said nothing since he knew if he'd open his mouth, it would probably result in a fight.

Once they're filled the pit with a good amount of leaves and rose petals, Caspian, Ed and Eustace gently laid Avelyn down.

Lucy looked at the boys to see if they'd say anything but everyone was too broken to speak in that moment.

Edmund just went down on one knee near the grave and pulled out something from his pocket: