XVII

"We can't all possibly go to the dark island" Avelyn sighed "That's the most stupid thing to do"

After the Pevensies along with Avelyn and Benjamin spoke with Lilliandil about the mist and swords to be laid at the table they'd all gone back aboard the ship.

Lilliandil offered them help by telling them one of the swords was on the dark island.

Edmund had suggested sailing to the island by dusk the next day but Avelyn was against it. The last thing she wanted to do was put more lives at risk.

"We can't go there on a row boat" Lucy said "and we most certainly can't go there alone, we'll need more men accompanying us"

"Exactly" Benjamin chimed in "if the sword is on the island it won't be easy to just pick it up and leave, we'll most likely have to fight our way out"

"I think the four of us can handle it" Avelyn shrugged only to be nudged by Reep "sorry, the five of us. Not to mention we'll have a dragon with us if Eustace agrees to come"

"He may be a dragon but he's still an annoying little boy" Edmund grunted "besides, remember how scared he was that time when-"

"He's the reason we found you" Avelyn snapped to which Ed just rolled his eyes in response.

"I say it's much more practical if it's just us rather than the whole crew" Avelyn picked up a book "besides, if we do get in trouble, Eustace can just fly us back to the ship or take Reep with him to alert the crew"

"It's not going to be that easy" Lucy sighed "are you sure about this?"

"It's not going to be easy either way Lu" Avelyn looked at the younger girl "this just seems like a better option"

She looked around the room to see if anyone opposed. Since all she got was silence, it was obvious they'd go ahead with her plan.

"Alright then, see you in the morning"

With that, Avelyn left the room with the book in her hand, the same one she picked up minutes ago, back to her cabin.

She sat down on her bed and read the title again:

Dark magic and unfriendly beings

Sighing, she began reading folktales about the mist.

There were many stories and myths surrounding it but one paticular one caught her attention.

In this version of the story, it said that there were seven swords to be laid at Aslan's table instead of six. It also stated that no one could just 'get' the seventh sword. In fact, they'd have to prove themselves to earn the sword.

"Great" the girl muttered "one night before heading out to that island and I read about this now"

The books never mentioned what a person would have to do in order to prove themselves. Nor did it mention where they'd need to go looking for that sword.

Hoping that this was just a myth Avelyn told herself that whatever Coriakin said was right and shut the book close before going to bed.

When morning came and Avelyn told the first mate about their idea of the five of them sailing by themselves to the island, as expected, Drinian was reluctant.

"I cannot allow the entire Narnian monarchy to sail there by themselves" he said sternly "that would be a very foolish decision"

"We'll be back in one piece" Avelyn said nervously "we swear"

Edmund held back a chuckle. She sounded like a child asking her father to let her go out past curfew.

"This is madness your majesty" Drinian sighed "you can't possibly fight the mist all by yourself"