XX

Lucy took the lead with Avelyn following close behind.

The boys along with Reep and Eustace muttering 'stop' over and over only for the girls to ignore.

To say she was terrified wasn't enough for Lucy to describe what she was feeling. She didn't know if she was walking into a trap and the last thing she wanted to do was put everyone else in danger because of her impulsive decision.

But then again, she wanted to take charge for once. It was always Avelyn, Edmund or Peter who used to lead the rest. Susan had her moments too but Lucy? She was always the child and she was sick of it.

She hoped that the one time she decided to be like Aves wouldn't be a stupid decision.

She halted to a stop, Avelyn bumping into her.

Before them stood a man, who's clothes were tattered and his hair a mess. He looked haggard, almost possessed as he yelled at the green mist swirling around him.

The girls couldn't tell what the mist was saying, or it was saying anything at all. The only thing they heard were incoherent whispers.

The man suddenly turned and froze when he looked at them. Lucy immediately pulled out her dagger, Avelyn doing the same. The girls heard the familiar sound of swords being unsheathed and figured out the boys were also right behind them.

"Y-you!" The man yelled as he pointed his sword at them "what are you doing here?"

"Eustace" Lucy calmly called out, not taking her eyes off the man.

Without wasting a second, Eustace swooped in and knocked the sword out of the man's hand then quickly picked it up and made his way to the back of the group, looking quite proud of himself.

He nudged Ed, who took the sword from the dragon and smiled in approval at his younger brother before he turned his attention back to the front, his expression hardening into a scary glare.

"Your majesties" the man was now on his knees, shaking a bit. His eyes flickered toward Eustace a couple of times "you shouldn't have come here, there's no way out!"

"Well we have the sword" Benji spoke as he looked at Ed "all we have to do is place this at Aslan's table"

"Exactly" Ed turned toward Reep "will you and Eustace-"

"Why yes" the mouse said with his usual happy tone. He climbed onto Eustace's back while Ed gave the dragon the sword again. Eustace spread his wings, the scales not glimmering as much due to the lack of sunlight. Within a matter of seconds he was up in the air and flying toward the island.

"Well" Avelyn smirked "that was easy"
"A little too easy" Lucy muttered suspiciously

"Oh shut up you two" Ed chuckled "we did it! Any minute now the mist will-"

"No" the man interrupted "no no. You don't understand"

"What's he on about?" Avelyn stood next to Ed.

"There's another sword" he looked up at the mist before looking at his hands, still not over the fact that he didn't have the sword anymore "there's another one"

"Well, where is it?" Lucy asked looking around "is it on the island?"

"Yes"

"Well then let's go find it" Benji shrugged "we find it, we get out"

"That's the problem, you can't find it" the haggard man spoke "you have to prove yourself to earn it"

"What a load of rubbish" Ed muttered before turning to the others, now speaking softly "my guess is this chap's been here too long. Must've drove him crazy. Let's all just head back to the rowboat"