XXIII

After about 2 hours of constant bickering and arguing, Edmund finally agreed to go look for Avelyn.

He got up and dusted as much mud as he could off his trousers and went walking in the direction Avelyn had run off in.

He didn't know where exactly to go look for her and he knew the fog would make it difficult to find his way back.

He heard some distant whispering from time to time but kept walking, ignoring it as if it were just some random kids talking in the hallways at school.

"Edmund" a certain voice called out.

He ignored it.

"Edmund" it tried again.

The boy kept walking. The voice sounded familiar and he hoped he was wrong.

"You can't run from me" the voice chuckled "I'll always be alive in your mind"

He halted to a stop and drew his sword and turned around swiftly to lock gazes with Jadis.

She no longer wore her blue crown or her long flowy gown. Instead, she had her hair down and she had a simple green dress on, which was stained pretty bad by the mud. Her skin was pale, a little too pale but her eyes still held that same fire that contrasted with her cold heart.

"Edmund dear" she smiled "wasn't expecting you here"

"I could say the same" he spat to which Jadis just chuckled.

"Made yourself at home I see. Wandering around, getting to know the place?"

"No, we were just leaving" he glared back at her

"I'm afraid that's not possible, just not yet at least" she smiled "don't worry, your friend's working on it"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Ah Avelyn" the white witch looked into the distance "what a lovely girl she was, I'd almost forgotten how sweet and innocent she looked. And now, well, she's grown up into quite a beautiful young lady"

"What are you on about?" Edmund snapped, clearly frustrated "where us she?"

"Oh you don't know?" She smirked "pity. I thought she'd have told you she ran off to meet him- oh never mind that, follow me"

Edmund watched as she slowly glided past him. The boy stayed put, unsure if this was real or a hallucination. Or even worse, genuine or a trap.

"Well didn't you need help finding her?" The witch asked impatiently "I won't wait for you all day"

Edmund muttered under his breath before lowering his sword and look is at Jadis.

"Where are we going?" He asked, his voice sounding dark and low.

"Why to Avelyn of course" Jadis threw a look at him "wasn't I clear enough about that?"

"No I meant like-" he sighed "you said you saw her? With 'him'? What's what supposed to mean?"

"You'll see" she said plainly "if they succeed, I'll know for sure that even I have a chance of coming back"

"What-"

"Hush" Jadis snapped "follow me"

_______

Collin gasped for air before he started to cough uncontrollably for a good 10 minutes.

"Br-breathing" he panted "forgot you had to do that when you're alive"

Avelyn shifted her weight uncomfortably from one foot to the other. She fiddled with her thumbs as she tried to calm herself down.