XXIV

Yall better grab the popcorn and them tissues cause this is going to be one heck of a roller coaster....

"Wait what!" Avelyn blinked in surprise.

The boy accompanying her this entire time was this idiot's brother? They honestly didn't even look alike in anyway.

One had shaggy brown locks while the other had straight black hair. One had kind brown eyes while the other had icy blue and green ones. One was a fucking pain while the other wasn't.

If anything, they were complete opposites.

Collin just chuckled as he looked down before looking back up with that same annoying smirk.

"Should we get on with it?" He asked, changing the topic as he tried to stand, his legs wobbling slightly.

"Huh?"

"With the ritual" he caught hold of the stone table's edge to steady himself "I'm starting to hate being alive"

"Yea you're not the only one" Avelyn mumbled as she cautiously inched closer "so what do we do?"

"Oh uh" the boy shifted to the side to let the queen get a better look at the engravings "can you read this?"

Avelyn looked at the weird language, not seeing anything besides shapes and swirls. She looked at Collin and shook her head to which he face palmed and sighed.

"Guess her highness isn't as smart as I thought" he muttered "alright, never mind that. I'll read it out loud and you repeat it okay?"

The dark haired boy jumped onto the table and sat awkwardly in the centre.

Avelyn struggled at first with the pronunciations which annoyed Collin, resulting in the boy swearing under his breath multiple times. Finally, once Avelyn was somewhat familiar with the strange words, Collin stood up and took a deep breath.

"Place both hands on the table, right ther- no not there" Collin was slowly losing patience "are u blind? I'm pointing it out! There! Yes good"

It was taking everything for Avelyn to not slice his throat open. Reminding herself that she needed that sword, she bit her bottom lip every time she felt like she was going to say something that would change the boy's mind.

"Whatever you do, don't take your hands off until you've recited the entire thing" Collin warned "got it?"

"Yes alright" the girl snapped "let's just get this over with"

Closing her eyes, Avelyn let those strange words escape her lips, making sure to talk softly but clear enough. Avelyn felt the stone under her palms get warmer, as if someone was starting a fire beneath it.

Few moments later she felt as of her palms were being cut open. The pain was starting to get unbearable and she clenched her eyes shut.

"Don't stop saying the incantation" Collin reminded to which Avelyn nodded in response as she continued, trying to ignore the pain.

Few more minutes she reminded herself only two more lines and you're done

As soon as she was done she pulled back her hands hastily to check her palms but there wasn't a single scratch. The pain faded and she dropped them to her side in relief.

She looked at Collin who was looking at the dark sky in confusion. He then looked down at her.

"Did you say it right?"

"Of course I did you toad" Avelyn spat "you heard me say it"

"Well then where's the fire?" The boy asked calmly "the edges of the table are supposed to catch fire"