Chapter Nineteen: Grieving

Megan took a deep breath as she stepped into their bedroom, she closed her eyes glad to be home and away from the looks of people who knew that she had lost one of her babies.

Megan had hated the looks of pity and she wished to grieve quietly for her lose and after a night in hospital she wanted to be alone; Sergio hadn't left her side since they had lost their baby.

Sergio watched his girlfriend, he didn't know what to say and he knew that she needed to rest; they still had one baby to think about and he didn't want to take any risks.

"Would you like some lunch?" Sergio asked softly, he watched Megan sit down on their bed slowly; he worried about her and he hoped that with time everything would be okay.

Megan shook her head, she was glad to be home and wished that he would stop fussing over her; she felt terrible about what had happened and she blamed herself.

"I'm not hungry," Megan said looking at Sergio, she offered him a weak smile knowing that this wasn't going to be easy; she wished that there was a way that they could have saved their baby.

Megan closed her brown eyes, she wished that she had been able to do something, anything to save the baby that she had lost; she just hoped that the baby was in a better place now.

"Why don't you get in bed and I'll make you something to eat," Sergio said knowing that Megan needed to eat, he didn't want her starving herself and he was hopeful that they wouldn't lose the last twin.

Sergio didn't want Megan blaming herself, this hadn't been her fault and they were going to be okay after what had happened to them.

Megan nodded her head slowly, she watched Sergio leave the room wishing that she could make things right; she hadn't said much recently and she knew that he was grieving as well.

***

Biting her lip, Mirian pulled out her phone considering calling Paqui to tell her what had happened; she hoped that the older woman would know how to comfort the couple better than she would.

Mirian didn't know what to do to help the couple, she was stuck and didn't want to say anything that could upset them; they had lost a baby and she had no idea how to make things better.

Mirian listened quietly as she ducked out into the back garden, she wished that there was a way that she could help; she didn't have to wait long before Paqui answered.

Mirian had already informed her parents that Megan had been rushed into hospital, she hadn't told them much since she hadn't wanted to worry anyone but now they needed help.

Mirian didn't waste a moment before she quickly and quietly explained to her mother what had happened to Megan and Sergio; she knew that this was the only way.

Paqui didn't say much and Mirian quickly found herself being hung up on, she grumbled to herself annoyed before she headed back inside to find Sergio making some lunch.

"I'm putting the kettle on... would you like a drink?" Mirian said moving across the room, she peeked at her younger brother knowing that he was hurting right now.

Sergio hadn't said much, instead had been focusing on making Megan feel better; he hadn't had time to grieve himself and Mirian knew that this wasn't going to be easy for them.

"Sese... it'll be okay you know," Mirian said softly, trying to make things better; she stepped towards him as he slowly broke down and cried for the first time about what had happened.

***

Megan sniffled as she curled up in bed, she wasn't surprised that he hadn't come back to see her yet; he needed to cry as well and she wasn't able to comfort him right now because of her own grief.

Megan had changed out of her clothes and had put on her cream pyjama vest and black turn-over bottoms; she was comfortable for the first time in over a day.

Megan looked up as Sergio entered their bedroom, he was carrying a sandwich and a glass of apple juice; she could see that he had been crying and she hated that she was hurting him.

"I'm sorry," Megan whispered looking at her boyfriend, she hated that he was hurting because of her; she didn't want him to hurt, she wasn't sure how they would survive this.

Sergio shook his head and carefully pulled Megan into a hug, this wasn't her fault and he was sure that things would get better; he just hoped that this wasn't going to break them apart.

Hearing the front door open and close, the couple carefully pulled apart curious about who had come to their home; Sergio continued to hold Megan as he heard his parents downstairs.

Sergio closed his eyes, sure that Mirian had been the one to inform them what had happened; he just hoped that his mother wouldn't cause trouble.

"Sergio why don't you and the others go and get us some dinner," Paqui said softly as she appeared at the door, she hated to see her son like this and she needed to speak to Megan alone. Her tone left no room for arguments, Sergio needed a little time to himself and Paqui would talk with Megan about what had happened to her.

Sergio opened his mouth to protest before his mother ushered him out of the bedroom, she closed the door behind him with a sigh.

Paqui sighed as she returned to sit next to Megan who wiped away her tears, she was sure that with time everything would be okay; they still had one baby to look forward to and that would be enough.

"It's alright to cry Megan... no madre should ever have to lose a child," Paqui said softly walking over to the brunette, she wished that she could take away the pain and she knew that it was okay for the couple to grieve.

Megan sniffled wondering why Paqui was being so nice to her, she knew that Sergio's mother didn't like her and yet here she was.

"I just don't understood how this happened... what did I do wrong?" Megan whispered quietly, she didn't care if Paqui was judging her; she deserved some time to cry over her baby.

Paqui sighed wrapping her arms around Megan and pulling her into a hug, it was going to be a rough couple of days but she was sure that everything would be okay.

"You didn't do anything wrong... things like this just happen, and right now you still have one baby to look after," Paqui said gently wishing that this hadn't of happened; she wanted to hate Megan but seeing her like this made it hard for her.

Megan nodded knowing that she was right, she wouldn't question why Paqui was being nice to her right now; but she knew that it wouldn't last and she had a feeling that she would be so alone when Paqui turned on her.

"I was wrong about you," Paqui admitted softly making Megan look at her, she had been hard on the brunette but she was glad to see that Megan hadn't caved; Sergio needed a strong woman in his life.

"It's clear to see you both love each other... I don't think I have ever seen Sergio this happy before. So I give you both my blessing and I hope you accept my apology, I only wanted what was best for my son," Paqui said making Megan smile at her a little, she knew that this would change everything between them, and right now she needed that since she had no family of her own to support her.