Chapter Twenty-Eight: Shocking News

Sergio grinned bouncing into the players’ lounge and headed straight for Megan and her siblings, the adrenalin from the match still pumping through his veins making his heart pound in his chest.

Sergio didn’t waste a moment kissing Megan, he was happy that his team had won and that Megan had been in the stadium to watch him play; he rarely had the chance to show off to her now.

Sergio pulled back from his fiancée and chuckled at the look on Rory’s face, he knew how much of a fan the younger man was and seeking his idols up close must have been amazing for him.

Rory was staring at Xabi who was across the room greeting his wife and children; he couldn’t believe that he was standing in the same room as his idol.

“You played wonderfully,” Megan said looking up at Sergio while he rubbed her stomach, she smiled at him as he pressed another kiss to her lips; she was happy for him and they were doing so well right now.

Sergio grinned pulling back from Megan, he brushed his fingers through her hair before he peeked at Rory who was still staring at Xabi across the room.

“Xabi, I want you to meet someone,” Sergio said calling to his team-mate, he didn’t see the harm in introducing Rory; he doubted that his friend would mind either.

Megan rolled her eyes moving to sit down while her fiancé introduced Xabi to Rory; she rested a hand on her bump knowing that they weren’t in any hurry to go anywhere.

Nagore laughed at the look on Megan’s little brother’s face, he looked like a kid at Christmas while he talked with Xabi; the brunette held back her own laugh as she watched Xabi look at him nervously as if Rory would attack him while they talked.  

“So how are you feeling… only eleven weeks left,” Nagore asked moving to sit down next to Megan, she smiled at the younger woman remembering when she had been pregnant with Jontxu and Ane.

Megan who smiled at her as she rubbed her swollen stomach; Nagore was one of the few WAGs that she got along with since she had come out about her relationship with Sergio. 

Megan could see that Nagore generally loved her husband; it had nothing to do with his money, unlike some of the women who dated some of the footballers on the team.

“I’m fine Gracias… just a little nervous,” Megan said as Sergio approached them, the two women could see Xabi shooting the Sevillian looks to save him from Rory; who seemed completely oblivious to what the older man was feeling.

Nagore smiled at Sergio who sat next to his fiancée, he hugged Megan close as he smiled at Nagore; who laughed little as the looks from her husband got a little more desperate.

Nagore excused herself leaving the couple alone, Megan pressed a kiss to Sergio’s lips making him look at her; she smiled at him wondering how everything had worked out so perfectly for them.

“I love you,” Megan said smiling, she brushed her fingers through Sergio’s hair as he wrapped his arms around her and held her close; they were happy and that was what mattered to him.

***

They had only just arrived home when there was a flash of blue light outside of their home; Megan looked at Sergio who smiled at her reassuringly, they hadn’t done anything wrong so they had nothing to worry about.

The knock at the door made Megan nervous as Sergio settled her on the couch before he went to answer the door; he didn’t want her stressing out when she was heavily pregnant.

Sergio took a deep breath as he opened the door to the two police officers, he swallowed at the grave looks on their faces and he knew this couldn’t be good.

“We’re looking for a Megan Martinez,” one of the officers said making Sergio stared at him wondering why they wanted Megan, she hadn’t done anything wrong and was very pregnant. S

ergio felt his stomach churn, he swallowed stepping aside to allow them into his home; he had no idea why they would want to see his fiancée.

“She’s here… is there a problem officer?” Sergio asked letting them inside, he felt sick wondering why they wanted her; Megan couldn’t harm a fly and he would do anything to protect her.

The two officers frowned as they waited for Sergio to lead them into the living room; Megan looked at them concerned as her fiancé sat next to her, she had been listening to them and was curious about what was going on.

“I’m afraid we have some bad news…” one of the officers said, Megan looked concerned wondering what had happened; Sergio stared at them as he took her hand, he didn’t want her getting upset.

Megan rested a hand on her stomach, she had spoken to her brothers earlier and she was sure that everyone was fine.

“Your padre attempted to commit suicide around an hour ago… he’s currently in intensive care,” the officer said, the colour drained from Megan’s face as she took in what she was being told; she couldn’t believe that Gerard would attempt to do something like that.

Sergio was quick to comfort her, as he stared at the two officers; he couldn’t believe that Gerard had done this, he had always known that the man was too proud to apologise but to try to kill himself was unspeakable.

Sergio knew that Megan’s father had felt guilty for what he had done, but he never thought that he would do this; Megan blinked back tears trying to take in what she had been told.

“What hospital is he in?” Megan asked she didn’t have to say anything to Sergio for him to know that she wanted to see her father.  

“He’s in Hospital La Paz,” the officer said softly, Megan nodded as Sergio moved to thank them and show them out before he collected his car keys wanting to support her in anyway.

Megan pushed herself to her feet, she wiped away some stray tears as Sergio appeared, and he sighed as he pulled her into a hug, he couldn’t believe this was happening now.

***

Megan stared at her father’s lifeless form as she stepped into his hospital room, she had never seen him like this before and it scared her; Marcus offered his sister a seat before slipping out of the room.

Sergio smiled at him warily, they were all shocked that Gerard had tried to take his own life like this; they had never thought that he would try to hurt himself in anyway.

“How is he?” Sergio asked handing Marcus a coffee, which Marcus took gratefully as he sat down in a chair; it was the least that he could do given what was happening.

“He tried to overdose… they had to pump his stomach,” Marcus said brokenly staring at his father wondering why he had done this; Sergio sighed knowing that this was the last thing they needed now.

They sat quietly for a moment, they knew that this was only the beginning that Gerard would need his family around him when he recovered from this.

Sergio wrapped an arm around Megan as she started to weep, this wasn’t her fault and her father had been a coward to try and solve things like this; he pressed a kiss to Megan’s head praying that everything was going to be alright.